First engine swap: ‘85 454 into ‘79 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Whatever radiator was in there. Smaller than the K30’s. Looks like the stock sbc radiator for this truck (305/350 C10) to my eyes. It has an integrated trans cooler.

As expected, I screwed up the linkage on the trans reinstall. This time around I instantly saw where the pivot/pin(?) wasn’t inserted into the frame on the linkage. Fixed it and the truck changes gears again. Score!

The windstar fan is a pretty darn good fit and will be installed without any additional shroud for now. I just think I can do a bit better than that in the long run.

Funny story: this tailgate sticker was going to be part of the build from the beginning. I was really happy to finally “install” it today.

You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Whatever radiator was in there. Smaller than the K30’s. Looks like the stock sbc radiator for this truck (305/350 C10) to my eyes. It has an integrated trans cooler.

As expected, I screwed up the linkage on the trans reinstall. This time around I instantly saw where the pivot/pin(?) wasn’t inserted into the frame on the linkage. Fixed it and the truck changes gears again. Score!

The windstar fan is a pretty darn good fit and will be installed without any additional shroud for now. I just think I can do a bit better than that in the long run.

Funny story: this tailgate sticker was going to be part of the build from the beginning. I was really happy to finally “install” it today.

Im on board with the sticker! :happy107:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Im also raising ruckous with the legend lol

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m in good company! :D

This thing is getting so close that it hurts. I found that a 46.3” belt that fits great over the alt and water pump. A 46” does not. Neither does a 47.5” belt. I also bought a 46.8” but didn’t test fit it.

There’s a handful of things left to do but it’s only a couple hours work from a test drive.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Modified the windstar setup to fit the radiator in the truck. They run off a relay that is switched in the cab. I’m broke so it’s all about using what I have on hand.

Fans work great, brake booster is hooked up (finally), and it’s literally capable of driving away in the next few minutes. I’m going to cycle the trans a few more times to get it filled to the proper level but she’s really close to driving to the exhaust shop. I’ll snag some pictures soon... sorry for the wait lol.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, after discovering I cross threaded a trans cooler line while spending too much time with my friend red solo cup, things slowed down a bit and the budget dried up.

Currently:

The truck runs and moves. I’ll be registering and insuring it tomorrow.
I’ll be installing an external trans cooler when weather permits.
I’ll be installing a Dirty Dingo trans cross memeber for extra clearance so I can just reuse the old exhaust.
I’ll also be installing a proper trans/throttle kickdown assembly.
Finding an appropriate PS pump bracket will be the next item on the to-do list unless something else comes up.

Hoping to test drive it before my birthday (early January) but the Ohio weather will be my biggest obstacle.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It’s a toasty 20 degrees out but I still aim to get the trans cooler fitted and maybe installed. The cross member is due in later today, as is what I hope is the right power steering bracket.

Started out with a random piece of angle aluminum and made some quick and dirty mounts for the trans cooler I pulled off of a Ford (lol).

Started running a few holes for the rubber line extensions with a step bit but did not take pics yet. Here’s an idea of where it will be.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, my new(er) Ryobi drill bit the dust just before I drilled the final two holes and my old one is on loan at a buddy’s. No room for a corded drill in there. Guess things stalled out again, no pun intended.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Trans cooler is in. Could have improved a few things but it’s good enough for now. Dirty Dingo cross member is in but still needs minor adjustment. Ran out of time doing that one yesterday. Progress is progress though!

Pretty much just exhaust away from drivable and the PS pump bracket away from comfortably drivable.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Semi-final update to this thread.

Drove the truck to the exhaust shop with open headers today. I was very pleased by how well it runs in 20 degree weather. No cops in sight, no tickets, score!

The shop made use of the exhaust left overs from the small block to get it back on the road. Cost me $100 and took two hours. I consider that to be plenty reasonable. The owner complimented me on a nice running engine when I joked about what a mess this truck was at checkout.

After that I made three runs to two shops to find the correct size power steering belt. I gotta say, it has a lot of partial throttle torque. Maybe more than anything I can recall owning. This truck is going to be a ton of fun once the cold passes.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I gotta say, it has a lot of partial throttle torque. Maybe more than anything I can recall owning. This truck is going to be a ton of fun once the cold passes.

It's called torque... and BE CAREFUL... it's addicting.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What exhaust shop did you use?

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's called torque... and BE CAREFUL... it's addicting.

I hear you loud and clear. I just keep telling myself "You don't need to boost it... yet."

That said, I'll be fresh out of excuses after the truck has some new brakes on it and my winter project blow through sand rail engine is complete. (Help?)

What exhaust shop did you use?

I used Exhaust Warehouse in Fairborn. I've had them do exhaust work on my old POS Fords and their prices could not be beaten. This last time a mechanic even gave me a ride home so I didn't have to walk the two miles back in the cold.

I believe they have another location in Springfield too. Nice guys, very old school in their attitude. I would highly recommend using them if you've got the parts but just haven't got the time or tools for the job.

Overland Suburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tracy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
DirtyDYT,

I read threw the entire thread! Nice job on the budget build if there is such a thing "as budget" Lol..... I especially appreciated the score on the heads your 454 came with and I'm guessing the cam likely isn't stock either!

Again nice build and I enjoyed reading through your thread. I wish you the best in your future ventures with your truck

Tracy

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There's these guys too...