Fire out my carb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
well it’s been a journey, a lot of you have followed my threads and I’ve finally gotten the headers and the exhaust hung, still haven’t started it since my last attempt when it went wide open on me. So tried it and doesn’t go full throttle but when I attempt to give it gas about every other rotation fire shoots out my carb☹️ Kinda want to sort that out without burning my truck down. Any ideas what’s causing this?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Timing or firing order are the logical cause. If you’ve just put it in the it’s likely the distributor or plug wires are installed incorrectly.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Are you sure the distributor isn't 180 out and it's using the exhaust as your intake and your intake as your exhaust?

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
I’m gonna agree and go back to the basics get the engine one # 1 tdc pull the new hei cap see where it’s pointing and go from there.
Thanks

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Timing or firing order are the logical cause. If you’ve just put it in the it’s likely the distributor or plug wires are installed incorrectly.

Are you sure the distributor isn't 180 out and it's using the exhaust as your intake and your intake as your exhaust?
If I understand correctly, I don't think he's saying it's backfiring out the carb when he tries to turn it over. Sounds like it starts but when he tries to give it gas it stumbles and pops a flame out the top. IME a distributor that's 180deg out shouldn't run at all, will just backfire every few cranks when you attempt to start (and if the plug wires were hooked up wromg it would have a pretty obvious miss). Sounds like he's saying it's idling but maybe running very very lean, so when attempting to give it throttle it's just flaming back through the intake? Maybe a bad vacuum leak at the carb or intake, or even terribly jetted if he pulled the carb off something entirely different. I'd be thinking it's sucking air somewhere though if he said last time he started it the thing just went wide open on him. I haven't been following I'm not familiar with his specific truck, just what I'm assuming based on what little I see in this one post

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It is possible to have plug wires mixed and it run (poorly).

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
so went out and pulled # 1 plug put a *** of cotton in the hole cranked it with my remote starter till the cotton shot out so #1 should be at tdc looked at the timing mark right on 0 pulled the cap rotor pointing at what looks to be #7 but could also be#1 here are pics

Attachments

• F9436BB4-C9AF-4A18-B9D8-7586601B0A30.jpeg
    F9436BB4-C9AF-4A18-B9D8-7586601B0A30.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 61
  • D02CE2E3-A940-4DEF-8471-5ED46F5856B7.jpeg
    D02CE2E3-A940-4DEF-8471-5ED46F5856B7.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 60

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
to everyone who has suggestions I wanted to clear up one thing the truck doesn't run it will fire over but with fire shooting out the carb I figured it prudent not to continue running it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
to everyone who has suggestions I wanted to clear up one thing the truck doesn't run it will fire over but with fire shooting out the carb I figured it prudent not to continue running it.
Ok I see unclear information here and the clear you can be the better we can all guide you. So you said "the truck doesn't run" and "I figured it prudent not to continue running it". So which is it? Does it or does it not start up and run? Does the fire out of the carb occur when cranking it or after it is running?

You have already gotten great suggestions so I won't repeat then, but if you could clarify that for us we might be able to eliminate somethings depending on your answers.

Thanks.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Start from step one. Disable the ignition, remove the number one plug.

Get a remote starter switch from harbour freight, they are about 10 bucks. Connect the remote starter switch, put your finger over the number one plug hole, and bump the engine until you feel compression. Slowly rotate the engine until the timing marks line up with whatever your desired initial timing is. Remove the distributor cap, is the rotor pointing at number one plug wire? If not, reclock the distributor. Once that is done,reinstall the cap, put a plug in the number one plug wire, and ground the plug. Loosen the distributor, turn on the ignition BUT DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE!!!! Spin the distributor back and forth, if you have the engine on number one cylinder compression stroke you should see a spark from the plug every time the distributor spins. If not, go back and find number one compression stroke again.

If you have consistent spark, you can be confident the engine is timed fairly close, and the distributor is installed correctly. Next, remove the distributor cap and rotor. Rotate the distributor until the teeth on the pickup coil line up, or if you have ignition points, rotate the distributor until the points just begin to open. Tighten the distributor. Reinstall the rotor, cap, plug, wire, etc. the engine should start, and the timing should be within a couple degrees of wherever your desired initial timing was.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Start from step one. Disable the ignition, remove the number one plug.

Get a remote starter switch from harbour freight, they are about 10 bucks. Connect the remote starter switch, put your finger over the number one plug hole, and bump the engine until you feel compression. Slowly rotate the engine until the timing marks line up with whatever your desired initial timing is. Remove the distributor cap, is the rotor pointing at number one plug wire? If not, reclock the distributor. Once that is done,reinstall the cap, put a plug in the number one plug wire, and ground the plug. Loosen the distributor, turn on the ignition BUT DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE!!!! Spin the distributor back and forth, if you have the engine on number one cylinder compression stroke you should see a spark from the plug every time the distributor spins. If not, go back and find number one compression stroke again.

If you have consistent spark, you can be confident the engine is timed fairly close, and the distributor is installed correctly. Next, remove the distributor cap and rotor. Rotate the distributor until the teeth on the pickup coil line up, or if you have ignition points, rotate the distributor until the points just begin to open. Tighten the distributor. Reinstall the rotor, cap, plug, wire, etc. the engine should start, and the timing should be within a couple degrees of wherever your desired initial timing was.

I have one of those cheap china inspection cameras... on a goose neck. I can put the lens tip right into the spark plug hole and move/turn it the right way and I can see the valve opening and piston coming or going. It's fun! Set the handheld part down so you can see the screen while bent over and hands on the power bar or long handle ratchet to the crank bolt. Turn over the engine and watch piston come and go with no help. Awesome.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@Gman73 another question to be clear on - has this motor previously run or are you attempting the first start up on a new motor?

If it's run before, what was done or happened between the last time it ran good and now (this thread).

Based on your first post it sounds like there are multiple threads about what you're doing, keep all the info in one place.

Also, be careful with your terminology -

Fire = flame, nothing else
Spark = ignition arc
Cranks = turning over by the starter but not actually running
Runs / running = the engine is operating on it's own - idling, reving, etc

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Isn't this the same motor that was pissing gas out of the carb?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepard te