Finally did it! Bought a suburban, what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
to daily, brakes/steering/drive train/rust in that order. Do all the other cosmetic stuff in between those.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Why not? Is it dangerous to try to clean it?

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@Camar068, Awesome analysis. look at all those things while there,

breaks decent if not a little soft. No shaking or pulling left or right. He said they looked at the drums last winter and they where decent.

The steering is responsive, not very sloppy. No leaks. He believes from looking at it most of the front end parts have been replaced at least once.

The drivetrain looks good, no pinion leaks, new shocks/assorted underside parts.
trans appears to have had work done, new bell housing.

Rust has had LOTS of work, few new doors, front fenders, rear sheet metal up to the rear window, new rockers, etc. frame looks very nice, maybe coated. There are spot though where I can see it needs new metal underneath, nothing structural though. One of the selling points for me was that the previous previous owner went though the electrics, and it shows.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thats nice all the dirty sheet metal is done. How's your rear tail pan piece? I'm in the process of repairs on mine. Not very fun.

On my skid plate. I had so much dirt packed into my skid plate that the tank straps were pretty much pieces of paper and the tank had a small pin hole from a rock and metal was thin aswell.

Thesiger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thadd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, I'm going to look the tank over better next time. Offhand, I didn't see any dirt falling off the sides so it can't be too packed.

I specifically checked the tail pan/under rear doors area because I'd see so many others with holes there, not a speck, it's gotta have been replaced to be so clean.

Besides that, it has two cracked windows. But I have 2 junk 'burbs right in my local town secured for parts, and on an even better stroke of luck, the owner is a car window repair guy, so that problem is solved as well.

SubDominant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7L
I'd say drive it a bunch to shake it down. You will discover what needs to be done that way. You are in for a fun adventure. These trucks are awesome to drive. If it were not for the price of fuel :mad: I'd be daily driving mine.

I am a mechanical repair first guy. Then I go for cosmetics. But do what you like first as it will make you like your rig more.

So I got mine for real cheap but had to do major repairs like a rebuilt trans and replace heads to get it driving. Needed all new tires and suspension and steering. I had to replace all the seats in the interior so all that added thousands to my purchase price. With that said It looks like you did well on the price!

big91burb

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Sorry been offline a few days, and my phone took a crap. I will post up a picture soon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef