Fender Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've had several squares from the 80's and everyone had a windshield antenna.
My 78 has a fender mounted one. I've also seen 88+ burbs and 3+3's with them too.

What years did they use each style and why?

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Good question, l will follow this thread, as my C10 has the screen aerial and if the screen needs replacing I'm thinking the new one wont.
what other antenna options are there?

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
My 1981 Sierra Classic came with the windshield antenna.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 85's got the windshield one but it will be gone when the new windshield is installed. I RARELY listen to broadcast radio but would like to keep the option open for weather, etc. Thinking about a fender antenna thats fully retractable.....power, etc.

Would like to see a fender mounted antenna to know where exactly to put it.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 85's got the windshield one but it will be gone when the new windshield is installed. I RARELY listen to broadcast radio but would like to keep the option open for weather, etc. Thinking about a fender antenna thats fully retractable.....power, etc.

My 85 had the window mounted antenna. The new glass didn't have that option so I switched to the fender mount. I happened to have a cowl cover from another 85 that had the fender mount. It done actually mount in the fender, it's in the cowl piece.

There's no possible way, in my opinion to mount a power antenna. There's a ton of metal structure in that are. I went with a standard aerial, although it's black with the spiral wound wire like modern vehicles use.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have replaced three windshields in three squares in the last decade and I choose the windshield antenna in order to remove it from the fender... :shrug:

You guys are weird.
That's just what I was thinking. One of the things I like about the square body is no fender antenna. And if they are working correctly they get pretty darn good reception.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

See the cowl there? It's hangin by the antenna.

You must be registered for see images attach

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
That's just what I was thinking. One of the things I like about the square body is no fender antenna. And if they are working correctly they get pretty darn good reception.
Yep I like clean look of glass antenna.
They also have a discreet module that looks a brick you can hide anywhere.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I've had several squares from the 80's and everyone had a windshield antenna.
My 78 has a fender mounted one. I've also seen 88+ burbs and 3+3's with them too.

What years did they use each style and why?

I believe the answer is this: When the dealer orders a truck with a radio, like my '74 was, windshield antenna. When I ordered my '82, I ordered it with no radio. I wanted to install my own choice. Truck was built without the windshield antenna.

Back in the day many dealers would order vehicles without radios, then sell the customers an aftermarket radio from their selection. Make more money on each sale, just like the dealer installed pinstripe on every unit.

The antenna mount pictured by @DanMcG is the GM accessory type for the square. When I added the antenna to my '82 I chose a GM antenna made for a Caviler. It put the antenna in the top of the fender instead on the side. I'll get a picture if anyone is interested.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I never knew that squares that early had fender antennas. My 78 is windshield antenna, always thought they were cool.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I believe the answer is this: When the dealer orders a truck with a radio, like my '74 was, windshield antenna. When I ordered my '82, I ordered it with no radio. I wanted to install my own choice. Truck was built without the windshield antenna.

Back in the day many dealers would order vehicles without radios, then sell the customers an aftermarket radio from their selection. Make more money on each sale, just like the dealer installed pinstripe on every unit.

The antenna mount pictured by @DanMcG is the GM accessory type for the square. When I added the antenna to my '82 I chose a GM antenna made for a Caviler. It put the antenna in the top of the fender instead on the side. I'll get a picture if anyone is interested.

My 78 fender antenna is in the same place as his. I posted a pic of mine.
If this is a dealer added option I will probably just remove when I restore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224