Fan Clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mugs

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So my fan clutch is going out and was wondering what would be a good type of clutch to keep my 454 cool. It has a over heat problem. Like standard, heavy, or severe duty?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Based on MikeB's link up above I didn't know there was such a thing as an electric fan clutch. The Hayden ones still seem to be engaged a bit at cold start up. Doing a quick search I found:

http://www.warnerelectric.com/FanDriveClutches.asp

They say it can fully disengage... but no part numbers or prices. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it. But sounds like it would be great in theory- almost like converting to electric without all the strain on the alternator/battery.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Does it hurt to go from standard clutch to a severe one?
Looks like the main difference is the ability to dissipate heat. Both will be a little noisier than standard duty.

Whether you go with HD or severe duty, be sure to use a fan with 2.5" pitch to take full advantage of the clutch. And make it's the largest diameter fan that will fit in your shroud (with at least 1" clearance all around).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc