Failed PA State Inspection :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
:Stupid Me::help:
Ok well I finally got around to taking my Truck for it's overdue inspection. As some of you know I'm been piecing it together for months now.

Well they failed both my upper ball joints, Passenger side Tie Rod End....and the Parking Brake.

Well I'm pissed at myself now because i didn't know cutting the brake cable for the 14 Bolt Disc Brake Conversion would go against State Law! :mad:

Thoughts on a solution? and how hard are replacing the ball joints? I'm gonna do upper and lower while I'm at it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
PA is a bitch, I hate it. They always find something.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
This is what i get for not taking it to my buddy. I can understand the joints, probably better to replace. but the Parking Brake!!! I've never seen that gigged

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
if they are still original ball joint they are tuff i did my lower ball joints and they took awhile to get them out they are even harder with out the special ball joint press since C claps are not strong enough

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Tops are easy. Grind off 4 factory rivets and the old one comes out. The new one bolts in using the holes where the rivets came out. The lowers you are much better off to go to a local parts store and borrow or rent the tool to remove. You can do it with out the tool but its much harder to do.

Never mind. I am an idiot And just noticed you are 4X4. Ive never done those.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
They are not too hard, first pull tire, and then caliper,and steering tie rod. then take your lockout hub off and removed the wheel bearing nuts. After that pull the rotor and bearings off, then unbolt your spindle from the knuckle and remove it. Then loosen the nuts on your ball joints top and bottom. You may have to pull axleshaft from housing, not too shure, i pulled mine out cause i was replacing seals also. Then slap the inner c with a hammer on the side of the ball joint stud, should pop loose. Mine did, maybe I just got lucky. When those are loose take nuts off and remove, pull snap rings from ball joints. I used a big 1/2 drive socket and an old extension as a driver and drove the old ball joint from the outer c. After that just put back in in reverse order. The upper ball joint should come with a new accentric for castor camber adjustment, I didn't use mine cause the old ones looked good still and I didn't want to mess with alignment. Then reassemble in reverse order.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is what i get for not taking it to my buddy. I can understand the joints, probably better to replace. but the Parking Brake!!! I've never seen that gigged

I can actually see letting the ball joint go, but not the parking brake. If you've built auto transmission, and see what little piece of steel is holding the whole weight of your truck, you'd understand. Have you ever noticed in a Medium Duty truck that has an Auto Trans, the Gear Selections are R N D 21 of R N D 3 2 1? Notice NO P? The reason for that is so that you do NOT put it in Park and trust it and MUST use a Parking Brake of some sort. A ball joint can rattle it's ass off, but the odds of it breaking are slim. (YES, they can break too).

How do they test the park brake? Is it visual under the truck? In the past, I have gotten by with tieing off one cable, and have the pedal only pull on wheel so it was a 1 rear wheel park brake, not 2. If they just push it down to see if it holds the truck, 1 wheel will work fine.

You're learning Grasshoppa !!! This is why when I pull I rear end I NEVER EVER cheap out to save 5-10 minutes to cut a cable. I take the time and do it right. It's a real PITA to replace those cable, not to mention, not the easiest thing to find and KNOW you have the right one. I'm also the same way about wiring harnesses, I do NOT butcher wiring harnesses UNLESS, I myself am taking a vehicle over the scale and know nooone needs it. If I plan on selling it as a rolling chassis, or it's going to Pull A Part, or I might have some buddies that are going to come over and pick some parts off of it.

It's like this, Phuk my dad and his ******** of, "Stop and Smell the Roses", :flipthebird:, But, do always take the extra 5-10 minutes to do **** right. It all comes back in the end one way or another. Maybe not on this project, but maybe on another. Same goes for those stupid little retainers or brackets that you THINK are NOT necessary so you don't reinstall them. REINSTALL THEM !!! They have a purpose or they would not be there in the first place. It may only be a .25 cent part, but if GM used 2 on every vehicle they built for a total of .50 each vehicle, and they built a million vehicles that year, that's a Half a Million Dollars. Now do you think if they could have save a Half a Million dollars they woudl have put that part in if it wasn't necessary???

Best 2 examples of this, is #1, the starter heat shield. It serves a purpose. If it's there, put it back. Next, is the heat shields around the spark plugs. I see guys throw them away all the time. Then wonder they're eating up plug wires. Deeta Fuggin Dee !!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
PA is the phuckin Cali of the east coast :shitsweak:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

That's what I'd do. I moved out of Cali in 91. A past bootycall/love almost had me talked into moving back. After some thought, that booty wasn't that damn good !!! :flipthebird: Cali !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't drag Cali into your East Coast mess, we don't have safety inspections.

They damn sure have emission inspections that can get very ridiculous.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man