Factory tach reads 2500 at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irocman79

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Just installed a factory tach cluster into my 84 chevy 4x4 and when start it up the tach reads 2500 rpm pretty sure its not idling that high needle does move when i press the accelerator is my tach bad or could it be somthing else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
did the tach have a 4/6/8 switch on the back? highdesertranger

irocman79

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
How do you tell that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I have seen them before that have a switch on the back that you set up to the engine size. I believe they were reproductions. highdesertranger

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
See the post below.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Read this link. I only paraphrased the repair procedure - I have no idea if the information is valid:

http://howtoalmanac.com/kevin/projects/automotive/tachfixtruck.htm

The author claims that this type of tach failure is due to a failed resistor chip on the tach PC board. The only part required to do the repair is a 12-turn potentiometer (about $5).

After the tach has been removed from the cluster and is laying on the bench, the actual repair takes only about 5 minutes. It involves first removing the failed resistor from the circuit. It isn't physically taken out, it is just isolated - by cutting an etched trace on the back of the board.

When the old resistor chip has been disconnected, it only a matter of soldering the new pot across the appropriate pins on the resistor chip. He shows great detail about which trace to break and which pins to solder the pot to.

That is the entire repair. But, as he acknowledges, the tach will still need to be calibrated.

He uses an oscilloscope. But just in case your oscilloscope is broken, he suggests using another known good tachometer instead. Reconnect the factory tach and also piggyback the test tach onto it. Start the engine and compare the reading on the repaired tach with the test tach. Trim the pot as necessary to calibrate the repaired unit.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli