exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87v10

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
im going to be putting my headers onto the truck but i dont know what to do about the air pump that is on the truck. what do i need to do about it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was gonna suggest eat more fiber but I guess that won't work for this problem will it??? :shrug:

Sooo, do you have emmisions testing or visual inspections on your truck in GA? Plan on moving anywhere in the near future that might??? If no and no, go ahead and pull the pump off. But, just so you know, once you let that pump sit for about 3 months or more it's probably going to be seized and will not work again. You're other option is to run smog legal headers that have the screw in ports for the headers, but those are very uncommon and expensive. If you want, just take the belt off the pump for now and remove the exhaust manifold apparatus.

84silverado

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
This is why I am glad I live in Kentucky. No test. You can pull all emmission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Then that's your answer. Just pull the belt to the pump. Pull it all off if you want. It doesn't affect anything other than those holes in the exhaust manifolds which you'll be removing. So go for it !!! :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Still not legal.

Technically NO. And if a LEO KNOWS the emmisions laws and what's on each vechile, he could have you pop your hood IF he has probable cause and write you a ticket for improper emmisions. Same as cutting off Cats in OK. If a cop wants to be a dick, he can look under your car if the Cat is gone, he cane write you a ticket. But do they do it??? I've not heard of it yet.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Technically NO. And if a LEO KNOWS the emmisions laws and what's on each vechile, he could have you pop your hood IF he has probable cause and write you a ticket for improper emmisions. Same as cutting off Cats in OK. If a cop wants to be a dick, he can look under your car if the Cat is gone, he cane write you a ticket. But do they do it??? I've not heard of it yet.

Unless there is some sort of apparent safety hazzard, most cops dont write equipment tickets, unless one fails the attitude test.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I never in my life seem a cop or DOT do any kind of equipment or vehicle inspection on the road for **** like that with normal vehicles. Imagine the madness if the regular joe schmoes had to go through what CDL drivers and vehicles had to go through?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I never in my life seem a cop or DOT do any kind of equipment or vehicle inspection on the road for **** like that with normal vehicles. Imagine the madness if the regular joe schmoes had to go through what CDL drivers and vehicles had to go through?

Me either. I think OP is safe pulling his pump / pump belt.

87v10

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
well my original truck never had the pump on it but this one i bought from a guy in maine does. here in georgia i dont have emissions on the truck anymore. 88 and down are exempt. will my ecm be affected by the pump no longer being on the truck?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
well my original truck never had the pump on it but this one i bought from a guy in maine does. here in georgia i dont have emissions on the truck anymore. 88 and down are exempt. will my ecm be affected by the pump no longer being on the truck?

No, but if you get headers longer than shorties, you will need to upgrade to a heated o2 sensor, which is a breeze to install and wire up.

87v10

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
ok ive been looking around and cant seem to find a heated O2 sensor. any hints on where to find one. I have the long tube headers and i plan on putting a dual 2.5 inch exhaust. muffler recommendation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus