Exhaust for tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
looking for some exhaust ideas for my 87 long bed exhaust system. Anyone update the manifolds and exhaust system on a tbi? Not looking for anything crazy but I’m tired of the exhaust leaks on my rusty original system

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I just installed headers on my 85 with new mufflers sounds great, got rid of all the exhaust leaks I’m still running a carburetor (replaced rogerchester with an edlebrock) eliminated a lot of vacuum leaks too. I really like the new sound went with megaflow rumble welded mufflers. I kept the pipes the same size as the collectors all the way back. So much for me good luck with your project.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
I just installed headers on my 85 with new mufflers sounds great, got rid of all the exhaust leaks I’m still running a carburetor (replaced rogerchester with an edlebrock) eliminated a lot of vacuum leaks too. I really like the new sound went with megaflow rumble welded mufflers. I kept the pipes the same size as the collectors all the way back. So much for me good luck with your project.

Did you buy a exhaust kit or have a shop custom make one? I’d like to install it myself but don’t have access to tube bender ms and all that fun stuff

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I used header extensions from headman out of the box came with the gaskets and hardware to connect to headers, drivers side a snap passenger side was tight removed the brace that was inside the frame rail. Bought the rumble welded mufflers and 4’ of straight pipe all from summit worked great sounds awesome

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

89squareburb

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L
89 R1500 350 TBI, stock manifolds, y pipe to full 3" mandrel bent pipe with catn delete, flowmaster delta flow 50 series, 90 out in oe location with 4" tip. Adding 3 wire O2 sensor, and Stainless steel shorty headers next. Flows great, sounds mellow at idle, and barks under load, or high rpm. Built my system here at the shop I work at. Any reputable exhaust shop should be able to duplicate easily.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Mine's a 454 TBI. I just replaced my old cracked and leaking factory manifolds with new replacement manifolds. I have the factory y-pipe with a simulated catalytic converter (because no emissions testing on pre-96 vehicles in NC) and a flowmaster RV style muffler. She idles nice and low, and when you get on it, she'll let you know.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I see this is an old thread, but what the hay....

My 1995 Suburban still has the stock manifolds and Y pipe.
I have replaced the cat with a high flow one many years ago.
For the muffler I had a Flowmaster 40 series muffler put in to the stock location with the proper pipe extension to connect to the tail pipe.

Sounds good and was fairly easy to make happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704