Esc?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The one in my picture is the same thing you have but its been bypassed and I made a jumper wire inside the distributor to make it look cleaner instead of a hacked to **** plug.

The mechanical advances in the one in the picture were sticking too, Just take it apart and clean everything really good and re-lube it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Maybe clean it, and replace the diaphragm before you hack any wires, drive it for a spell, then decide what you want to do with it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
buy one of the adjustable vac. pods for it and you can kinda fine tune the pre load on it some to see if you like it better.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
No dude, take that **** out.

You unplug that 4 prong plug that goes into the fire wall and jump between the green and black (might have to go out and check). That turns your crap 305 retarding hardware into a regular distributor.

ok so ive swapped a 350 in my truck and am having a similar issue. i want to remove the esc crap but am unclear on what you mean by this procedure. can anyone clarify which wires i do what with? on the dizzy side or firewall?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just something I keep on file in case I ever get a truck with ESC. I've posted this before and never had any negative feedback:

First some background on the interconnection between the ECM and the hot wire to the coil (pink):

There is a power feed to the spark control unit (ECM) under the dash that comes off of the pink (hot) wire to the distributor. The pink wire clips into the connector for the feed, which in turn clips into the dist. cap.

The procedure:

I talked to some Chevy mechanics at my dealer about this and they told me how to bypass the spark control computer and keep the original distributor, something they claim is done quite often:

First thing to do is unhook the spark control computer lead from the pink wire and hook the pink wire directly to the dist. cap. Make sure you plug it into the cap at the BAT terminal.

The second thing is to locate the 4 wire connector that feeds into the ignition module.

There's a brown (D), green (C), white (B), and black (A) wire there. The letters in () are on the black clip that the wires come out of. You cut the green (C) and black (A) wires between this clip and where they go into the distributor. Then all you need to do is solder the 2 cut leads from the dist/ignition module together, i.e. the green and black ones, (make sure to tape the exposed wires):

You must be registered for see images attach

Now your HEI distributor will function just as a pre ESC model does. I did this and it has been running fine for well over a year now.

That's it. Of course you will need to adjust the timing when you get it running. This mod converts your truck back to a regular HEI ignition, without all the electronic controls. You will have to monitor your spark knock yourself since you won't have the ESC to do it for you. If you have ever had an older vehicle you know how to do this anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD