Engine won’t line up.. mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Senditguy69

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys I’m having trouble putting my drivetrain(Frame and axles no body) back in my 84 k10 350 SBC when I took it out one mount was broke so was only connected by one other side. I ordered new motor mounts and tried putting it in I can only get one side to line up other side is way off.. after hours of trying different things I’m lost on what to do I took the mounts off the frame and connected to engine and tried it that way but still no luck any suggestions would help

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
One time this happened to me too, it's hard to imagine how it gets that way!

Story in the C20 thread..although there are no better answers to this problem in that build thread, from me

The end of the story is that the mounts I was trying to use were mismatched.
Turns out...there are multiple part numbers for that simple piece and not all squares are created equal.

Yeah...:(

In order to find the right one? I got a bunch of different clamshells from Craigslist, eBay,friends,salvage yards.. and tried them until I found a pair that worked.

People will GIVE AWAY their spares but it only took 3 or 4 pairs - if you imagine a huge mountain of clamshells haha:lol:don't worry! While they may not all be equal, squares are all pretty much the same. ;)

True story...sad I'm no more help but you'll never get it to line up it doesn't sound like to me. Maybe time to look into the why not the how.

:shrug:

You might could remember where it went?

Kinda need to find the other one. :eek:

Last edited:

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you mean the rubber insulated motor mounts, they are different for big block and small block.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you mean the rubber insulated motor mounts, they are different for big block and small block.
2wd vs 4wd. although from what i believe bucket has said, 4wd mounts do work with 2wd, just not the other way around iirc. maybe it was the other way around. i would imagine 2wd would put the transfer case too low perhaps

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just went through this and I struggled for hours. What I ended up doing was in unbolting the brackets that go to the frame. Bolt the mounts on first and put the long mount bolt through. Then lower the motor in and use a long centering punch to pull it all in alignment. It's still really difficult but it will work. It helps a lot to have another person to pull on the punch while you put bolts in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53