Engine Swap - Labor Hours

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuvNLife

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
OK; here's the backstory. Bought an '85 C10 shortbed earlier this week. It ran and drove, but the virtual rust free body was the main selling point. The engine is a bit cobbled - clapped out Edelbrock carb with an adapter to a cast iron intake, plug wires zip-tied (yes, all 4 per side) tightly, etc. I just wanted it to last a year, then I was going to swap in a new long block. Well, Murphy's Law always seems to take a bite outta my rear.

I was letting it run in my garage (doors open) to see how it ran warmed up, and it didn't sound bad. The weather has been cold, rain and crazy high humidity. I noticed a lot of condensation coming out of both of the pipes (headers into Flowmasters, dumped at the rear) and it didn't stop for the entire 15 minutes of idling. I stepped on it, and it really left a plume. Tomorrow, I'm going to take it out for a run and check my coolant levels before and after, in case both combustion chambers cracked somehow. The oil on the dipstick is clean, there's no milkshake under the fill cap or in the radiator. Worst case, the engine swap won't wait.

I know local labor costs for mechanical work, but I'd like to get some sense of how many hours changing out an engine should run for an average shop that knows Gen 1 small blocks. The only options are power steering (no A/C) and a Turbo 400 trans. All of the parts going on, intake, fuel pump, water pump, etc. will be brand new. Only little parts like the distributor hold down, fuel pump push rod and oil filter adapter have to be pulled. My guesstimate is 12 labor hours, but I'd like to hear from some that either do this for a living or have "been there, done that".

Thanks!

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Don't write your engine off yet. Water is one of the byproducts from combustion, and if you exhaust never gets hot while just idling it will condense the water out and drip.

stock engine shop time to RNR i would guess closer to 8 hrs. My best guess not book time.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
8-10 hrs for a swap out I would think.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
When I first read swap, I was thinking LS which would take a lot more time but that's another story.

I would estimate no more than 8 for a like for like swap using almost all new parts.

LuvNLife

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Well, nice day today; high 40's-low 50's, sun, breeze. Great day to run the truck and check the cooling system for any loss and bubbles. No choke, so cranked it over twice for 3 seconds, 3rd try, nothing. No hot wires, no smoke, 1 month old 850 cca battery, tight connections, just dead. Lights and even buzzer work fine, turn the key to start, and the lights dim. That'll be a new post shortly; I think it's the lock cylinder...

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
A couple years ago when I did my big block with A/C, cruise etc. I think it was around 12.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Before I started my engine swap journey, a local shop told me they get 30 hours for jasper short block swap. At 75.00 an hour, I took a different fork in the road.
Eric

LuvNLife

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Before I started my engine swap journey, a local shop told me they get 30 hours for jasper short block swap. At 75.00 an hour, I took a different fork in the road.
Eric

Wow. Factoring in lunch, that's 4 work days to swap an engine. That is beyond steep...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64