Engine Build - ran into a hang up with TBI intake, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have been building a 355 for my truck for a few weeks. Trying to do it right and use good parts and not get too crazy with compression or wild cams. Using a 12-388-4 Comp Cam and 9:1 compression. I use the truck for towing and want to run 87 octane.

I ran into a issue. I have the heads for the engine already. I thought the TBI heads used a traditional intake pattern but I am finding out now that they don't, so my stock intake wont mate up to the heads. Thinking about ditching the TBI all together and going to carb, since I would need to spend more $$ to tune the TBI ECM anyways.

What are thoughts? Ditch TBI? Will I be happy with a carb? Feel very confused on how to move forward. I cant find an intake on the market that fits pre 87 heads and a TBI.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
You could run an early-style intake, and a TBI adapter.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Yep, I agree that the adapter would be the way to go. Lets you keep the TBI and use a relatively cheap and very common E-brock performer intake or similar - even a pre-87 stock cast iron unit. The adapters are about $50 or so on e-bay, lots of different options. I think Jegs and Summit carry them, too.

The different intake manifold patterns can be a hassle. TBI was the first change, but then the next iteration vortecs changed it again to only 8 bolts that are vertical instead of angled. That's the issue I'm dealing with since I'm building a vortec headed TBI motor for my 91 burb. I ended up buying the GM vortec intake for a spread-bore carb (q-jet) and a TBI adapter. Haven't built it all up yet, but it should work.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the replys. I was thinking about this last night, I have a few other questions:

- if I was to remove the TBi system, I know I would lose my timing control and my 700r4 Lockup. What else would be affected?

- Would I lose my factory cruise control? I did a search, I believe that the 87 model had "cruise control III" which appears to be separate system from the ECM. Does anyone know if the TBI ECM controls cruise in any way? Would it still work after the TBI is gone?

- Is my HVAC affected? I have A/C and would like to keep it, my guts says this is a separate system.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD

Latest posts

Forum statistics