Engine block numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
I read.there is suposed too be a engine block number.on the back of the engine..the one.i am trying to see the number..is this 454chevy v8

i crawled across the motor..and tried to take photos.of the back of the motor..down loaded the photos-can not see any numbers.has any one else..

Done this.have you any photos.to show me exactly..where to look.i do not know.what year.this engine is..it has the short.water pump.on the front..

I know.that it could be a 1968..too 1989 or something like that..i need too know what i got.it has big holes.above the oil filter.so i think it is a four bolt main engine..

Can any one tell me something..about these big blocks..

82chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465
I found this on the internet and copied and pasted it. When you find the serial number goggle something like "identify chevy engine serial number". That's what I did when I bought my truck. Hope this helps.

Big block Chevy engines have been produced since 1963. The engines started with the 409ci engine followed by the 396ci, and then the 427ci engines. The 454ci was introduced in 1970. A big block Chevy engine is not similar to any other engine in appearance. Its huge wide smooth valve covers and a distributor directly in the rear of the engine are a dead giveaway. It has a vertical oil filter on the driver's side rear of the engine and the starter on the passenger side.

1) Read the serial numbers on the passenger-side front of the cylinder head on the flat section of the head. There will be seven numbers and letters closest to the head. For example, F0114MB. The F identifies the motor plant or division, the 01 is the month made, 14 is the day and the MB is the motor designation as to size. On the flat there will be a BBC for big block Chevy. In some cases this designation will be on the front of the block.

2) Look for the first letter of the identification and use this code's description for the plant that the engine was produced. F for the Flint motor plant, K for the McKinnon plant, M for GM of Mexico, T for the Tonawanda engine plant, S for the Signow service plant, V for the Flint engine plant.

3) Read the eight numbers close to the first set of numbers and do not end with a suffix. For example, 18V19987. The first number, 1 denotes a Chevy, the 8 is for the year, in this case 68, the V is for the vehicle assembly plant where all the parts came together, and the last 6 numbers are the last 6 of the serial number of the vehicle. This is how to find out if the engine is the original engine that came with the vehicle. Somewhere on the flat there should be 1 to 3 letters by themselves. A 'C' for a car engine, a 'T' for truck , or a 'CE' which stands for crate engine. This is a replacement engine from the dealer.

4) Look at the oil filter mounting surface and see if there are two plugs at the top of the mount on the block. If there are, these are for an oil cooler and there is a good possibility that the engine is a 4-bolt main block. This is not a fact in every case, but a good indicator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77