Engine Accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I am brand new to this website. Hi people's!!! Anyways I just bought my first Square Body which also happened to be my first truck. The previous owner couldn't tell us much about it so its time to go digging in. It was originally a 5.0 305 automatic. Now it has a swapped 350 and no ac compressor. The alternator is being tensioned back with a strap and we believe its actually on the wrong bracket but we don't know. If y'all could possible let me know what's going on or if the setup is right, that would be great. I'll try to elaborate if y'all have any questions for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 74

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For whatever reason, I can't post multiple pictures so this will jut have to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 64

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is the other bracket on the driver's side. No ac compressor but is this here the alternator is supposed to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 60

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Driver side is for ac. Alternator is in correct location, but need a betrer picture to figure out what is missing.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The only thing that is missing is ac. I had just thought that with ac components be on the passenger side, ac compressor would be there to bit this is a different 350 so yeah. The thing is that the alternator has a giant spacer and two washers connecting it to the block and spacers on the bracket itself. It just doesn't make sence to me. Could the bolts be wrong or the alternator. I'll have to check...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 64

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Above was the pic of the spacer. It just seems a bit redneckified to me. Here is the brackets missing the compressor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 51

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Here's a pic of my engine bay. The bottom left hand corner shows the bracket you need for the alt. Also looks like your belts are on backwards. The nubs should be inward, not outward.

Looks like the PO drove the truck through some red clay.

Also, you can add more than 1 picture at a time. Under this box, there is Additional Options. Under that, in the center, click on "Manage Attachments". When that window opens, browse for the file you want to upload and click "Upload". You will see the uploaded file appear just below the "Browse" button. Rinse and repeat. I think it will handle 4 pics at once. Once done, simply close that window and click "Submit Reply" when finished.

EDIT: I looked at your Alt setup again and it appears everything is there bracket wise. I don't know why the PO strapped up the Alt. Unless, that's what the PO used to tighten the Alt belt and just left it there.

Attachments

• WP_20130902_006.jpg
    WP_20130902_006.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The belts are fine. Some belts have those little ribs on the outside.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Here is a nice pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 68

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here is a nice pic.
Holy crap! Thanks a million. That really helps. Did you get that from any website or what because I would love to see more.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Holy crap! Thanks a million. That really helps. Did you get that from any website or what because I would love to see more.

I just searched for "Chevy 350 alternator brackets" and looked at the pics.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
from pictures looks like just about everything is there. It is also possible that the strap is there to hold the engine from torquing under load due to a bad mount instead of holding the alternator in. And the belts do look wrong as already mentioned.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Ribbed back V-belts.
http://www.ptx.guru/belt/ddpowerdrive/5M800

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
or the strap is there because the po striped out the alt where the top bolt will not tighten up and hold the alt belt tight . try and tighten the top adjustment bolt in the bracket if it is striped you can just get a longer bolt and put a nut on it on the back side of the alt the take off the strap and see if it stays in place

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
or the strap is there because the po striped out the alt where the top bolt will not tighten up and hold the alt belt tight . try and tighten the top adjustment bolt in the bracket if it is striped you can just get a longer bolt and put a nut on it on the back side of the alt the take off the strap and see if it stays in place

Yep that ^^^^^^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris