Emergency brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

it isnt stamped likethis one?

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I have had eight 30 Series GM pickups, 5 of which I bought new, for a continuous period of over 40 years.
Three 2WD and the other five 4 WD.
All were Turbo 400 transmission equipped and not one of them had a W crossmember.
None of them had the crossmember inside the frame rails.
Every year that offered I had the factory transfer case skid plate of which some included a second crossmember.
I still have new skid plate/crossmember in a boxes plus the frame brackets for mounting.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have had eight 30 Series GM pickups, 5 of which I bought new, for a continuous period of over 40 years.
All were Turbo 400 transmission equipped and not one of them had a W crossmember.
Every year that offered I had the factory transfer case skid plate of which some included a second crossmember.
I still have new skid plate/crossmember in a boxes plus the frame brackets for mounting.

Any civilian '85+ K30's in that mix?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Sorry it's not a great pic. It's raining and I didn't really feel like getting wet. I can get a better one Monday if you need.

Trust me, it's just hanging there. That plastic pice and screw is the shield for th fuel tank.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Closest to an 85 would be my 88 V30.
Only Military one was my 86 M1008.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Closest to an 85 would be my 88 V30.
Only Military one was my 86 M1008.

'88 would have the "S" or "wavy" crossmember... you know, the goofy looking one where to two sides don't match. Is it not mounted within the frame?

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Sorry it's not a great pic. It's raining and I didn't really feel like getting wet. I can get a better one Monday if you need.

Trust me, it's just hanging there. That plastic pice and screw is the shield for th fuel tank.

Thanks. If I let mine hang it will drop down six inches and is visible from outside the truck.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Did the cross member bolt to the transfer case or transmission in your applications? If it would work with the sm465 and np208 I would buy one from you.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size

it isnt stamped likethis one?
Unfortunately, it looks corroded and then someone painted over it. I can't make out the year. 84 maybe

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Unfortunately, it looks corroded and then someone painted over it. I can't make out the year. 84 maybe
I see and 84 or 85 in that, I think that means we can know it came with that crossmember for sure and its from a chevy truck which makes our 85-86 k series idea make sense.
Nothing wrong in that, but it does mean that you need the same the pedastal for the adapter unless you want to change from that to a long foot adapter which to my understanding were criminally able to brake especially when lacking a strut rod which yours appears to as well as mine. runs to the bellhousing I think. to the passneger side of the t case where two large holes are. keeps them from cracking from twist. (Them being anything that cant take tthw twisty twists)
this is what yours should look like, the skid plate then covers the exposed part that extends off the back toward the back of the truck. your crossmember also utilizes the 2 sets of holes that would lay flat on the bottom of your C channel while the smaller trucks or yourscurrently uses the middle set which are also offset for reasons Im not quite sure, possibly different set for a different application where its further or back or to make it directional or something.

Actually now that I realize, a flat crossmember which can put slots on the center where the mount sits may be able to work just fine for yours.. assuming the np208 front output doesnt absolutely need that clearance which it might.

That combo would probably keep your transfer case from hitting it... but it would the weakpoint because its kinda like on stilts if that makes sense.
Which is why they moved away from it

I guess I dont know what that is for but thats the same idea regardless I was trying to pass on about the mount.

also it seems the S crossmember came into play with cat converters perhaps where the placement of them and the pipe to and from would better have the pipe pass under the crossmember rather than potentially collide because of the width above it on a W.

If you arent married to your np208 or rear driveshaft or this SM465 you have the options of going to a sm465 with a np205 from early but you would have to go to a mechanical clutch unless you want to make your hydraulic clutch stuff work which is an upgrade to many. Otherwise a later sm465 and np205 combo has to exist but I imagine its not very common but determination beats obstacles if you got the determination lol

Otherwise perfect opportunity to do what you want. I dont know what goes into converting the clutch over but if you want your manual I imagine already having the setup is 90% of th work when it comes to the bellhousings which should swap and the fork and stuff already in posession.

If you want to go to an auto of some kind you will want a steering column which is always a great opportunity for tilt since your manual column someone put in probably doesnt tilt OR They left the auto column in and you have a shifter tube just a missing handle or they didnt even go that far. Still got a pointer on dash?

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I'm not sure what trans I will end up with. I like the sm465 for now but would like to restore it to stock (TH400) or but a modern overdrive trans like a 4L60E or Tremec Magnum. I know I'd have to ditch the 4WD for the Tremec unit though. But I'm a manual transmission guy and my daily driver is an LS3/TR6060 combo.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm not sure what trans I will end up with. I like the sm465 for now but would like to restore it to stock (TH400) or but a modern overdrive trans like a 4L60E or Tremec Magnum. I know I'd have to ditch the 4WD for the Tremec unit though. But I'm a manual transmission guy and my daily driver is an LS3/TR6060 combo.
If you arent set on the manual aspect, then I think 4l80 is a goal you should go for. 4l60 is fine if its built right but you have a 1.25 ton truck.. you probably want to be able to use it like that I would think. And honestly, your current engine is a 5.3 yes? your signature says at least. 5.3 is going to hookup to a 4l80 and whatever you have running your engine is probably also able to run your 4l80. But you want 4wd so Im not expert on what all is needed to carry that into life. But you have the absolute stout frame and basic building blocks needed and getting the right crossmemebrr will be easier because the LS swap companies sell their crossmembers they make to accompany swaps. Mostly 2wd of course for them but the rock crawling ones make a lot for Np205 and modern combos so its worth maybe looking at the stores. They are out there and they are surprisingly abundant. The community here can be slightly misleadign to base what options exist off of because a lot of people who use these trucks in ways most of us dont do use forums or maybe just have a friend group but they are passionate and there are people who make money off that for good business ideas and also to help eachother out. being CUCV I think a 4l80 is a good compliment to the lineage and you may be able to find a np208 adapter so you dont even have to drop the case. But at that point a 241 or whatever clocked to a np208 output may be the bees nees then. But worth thinking about how you want to use this truck. Because if mileage and overdrive arent what you need or want, a th400 is going to be a very very good trans and getting it to mount to a transfer case of your choice can be easy or hard depending on the choice lol

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Thanks. If I let mine hang it will drop down six inches and is visible from outside the truck.

Gotcha. Apparently you need some cables. Mine is still factory so let me know if you need more info.

Except how to adjust it. That makes zero sense to me.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I guess the W member does bolt to the trans. Not sure if the one for the TH400 would fit.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I know I need the grommets. Maybe the cable is just stretched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1