Emergency Brake Problems!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I took a look at my e-brake cable today in an effort to tighten it. The e-brake worked but not very well. It was kind of a ****** up job the previous owner did on it. Basically two pieces of cut cable with multiple small u-bolts holding it together. so i loosened them tried to tighten them. No improvement, it was already as taunt as it could get. Here's where it gets interesting..... i drop the jack and the e-brake cable snaps and my truck tries to murder me. Fortunately i could get out of the way and get in my truck before it ran over my moms garden. Sooooo how do i fix this cable problem? I have a limited knowledge of drum brakes but there is a degree of adjustments you can do there right? One last thing. There's a kind of spring that runs along the first foot of the cable that looks like it has some sort of adjustment too. But i don't want to mess with something that i don't know what it does. Please help soon, i need to get my truck get inspected soon and my bank accounts laughable...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That sounds like it was a hack job and you found out first hand how dangerous it could be. You have no choice but to buy the correct parts and install and adjust them properly. Take a look on LMC for at the parts diagram and compare to yours what needs attention. Once you figure that our we can help you along from there.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a locking lug nuts on the rear wheels, the previous owner never gave the matching socket to me..
Once i find away to get them off i will adjust the adjuster inside the drums..
Until then no parking on hills.

Ty'1987

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Go buy that key! And then go buy new cables ASAP. I won't drive without a working ebrake anymore; learned from previous experience. My last truck, a '77 f100, had a master cylinder failure!! I was without an ebrake, I careened helplessly down the hill that my cul-de-sac was on, across my neighbor's front yard, and took out her porch!! Please do not let this happen to you.

I am in the process of restoring my 87 gmc v1500 and am currently tackling the rear brakes. Hunting for parts, I found the cheapest place to get cables was at Autozone. The ONLY place I found for the associated hardware was through LMC. I bought all the hardware because my truck is really rusty but you can reuse it if it looks ok.

Cables—~40$ for all 3(front, left&right rears.
Hardware—25$ with shipping

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm going to redo the cables once I get the money. I honestly think I just need to adjust then more then anything. But I can't get the rear wheel off..

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I'm going to redo the cables once I get the money. I honestly think I just need to adjust then more then anything. But I can't get the rear wheel off..

Take a block of wood and a big mallet and tap around the tire from the inside. I'm assuming you were able to get the lug nuts off. Had to do that to a 4runner a couple weeks ago...before I had to tow it last week. Not a good thing when you get a call and recognize the address from a previous call.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Before you ever do any work on a vehicle, be sure to chalk the wheels so it doesn't roll away on you if something like that happens again. It can literally be a life saver.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
we tryed to use one of those at tech. but there wasn't enough room for the socket

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Man that sucks. I hate those fuggin things.

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I had the same problem on a malibu I once had. I went to pepboys and they had the exact tool I needed. I believe it was called gorilla something. Only pepboys had it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Take a 12 point socket (one you can return if it breaks or a cheap one you don't care about). Choose the size that just barely fits over the head of the security lug. The tighter the better.

Get your 3 lb sledge hammer and bang the livin' shiite out of the socket. That will couple the "splines" inside the socket into the OD of the lug nut. Drive it as far on as you possibly can.

Use a big breaker bar on the socket and hope for the best.

Standard depth is better than a deep socket - it wont twist off as easy.

Nice name BTW - ain't many of us around.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'll try that today, I think I'm going to sacrifice the chrome hub cover thingamajig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1