Electrical problems with headlights and blinkers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
Hey everyone I hope your having a good day so my issue is that the cornering lights go on with the blinker and I have one solid light I will provide pictures what would be the way I could fix this. I’m not a mechanic so all this is new

Attachments

• IMG_3495.png
    IMG_3495.png
    526.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3494.png
    IMG_3494.png
    609.7 KB · Views: 19

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
P.S the right front blinker, works fine but for some reason isn't one same for the cornering

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'm a little confused here.
There are 3 blinkers on your truck for each side.
1 - front bumper
1 - front fender/corner
1 - rear taillight housing

If any one of these do not light up and that side doesn't blink you probably have a burned out bulb.

When you turn on the RIGHT blinker what happens?

When you turn on the LEFT blinker what happens?

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
I'm a little confused here.
There are 3 blinkers on your truck for each side.
1 - front bumper
1 - front fender/corner
1 - rear taillight housing

If any one of these do not light up and that side doesn't blink you probably have a burned out bulb.

When you turn on the RIGHT blinker what happens?

When you turn on the LEFT blinker what happens?
Sorry I should have explained better so, when I turn on the low beams if you can see in the pic only one of those lights are on are both of them susposed to be on? And the same side that light is on the Cornering light is on to. But the other side is completely out. Unless I use the blinker in which it works.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
When you turn on your headlight switch to either first (parking lights) or second (parking with headlights) position, the lights below your headlights and the corner light should all come on.

Check grounds. Probably not the issue here since the blinker and parking light share ground.
You will need to check with a test lamp or volt meter starting at the socket working backwards towards the bulkhead on the firewall to see if there is a break in the wire.

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
When you turn on your headlight switch to either first (parking lights) or second (parking with headlights) position, the lights below your headlights and the corner light should all come on.

Check grounds. Probably not the issue here since the blinker and parking light share ground.
You will need to check with a test lamp or volt meter starting at the socket working backwards towards the bulkhead on the firewall to see if there is a break in the wire.
will do!, thanks i will be sure to check that out

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
So wires seem to be fine, but I noticed that this cornering light is VERY DIM,should I take off the plastic sheathing off the wires to see if there is maybe a broken wire?, or do you think it’s fine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 29

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I would measure voltage before cutting wire. Then work backwards towards the bulkhead to see if there is a crack/break.

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
Hey everyone just a update, so while testing everything I took out the passenger side blinker bulb, and the driver side one came on without any problems so it seems to work when there isn’t a bulb in the socket any ideas?

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
sounds like a grounding problem. check grounds (ie remove them grounds and reinstall them grounds )='s new contact for grounds. maybe sand them a bit as well....

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
sounds like a grounding problem. check grounds (ie remove them grounds and reinstall them grounds )='s new contact for grounds. maybe sand them a bit as well....
I’ll try to snap a pic because the headlight grounds near the hood, and I’m not sure where the blinker is susposed to ground

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Test voltage across the socket, does it closely match battery voltage? If not check power side of socket to battery ground does that match battery voltage? Check negative side of socket to battery +, does that match battery voltage?Now put the bulb back in, back probe the ground at the socket in dc volts mode on a multimeter. Check ground side of socket to - battery post and positive side of bulb socket to battery + readings should be nearly 0 volts .5 volt or more you found your problem side. Depending on how many connection points there are on the wire.5 maybe a little on the high side, but close enough.

Last edited:

Codypicz24

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 1985
Engine Size
Just an update I replaced the socket and everything works fine now!!

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
so a short in the socket was the culprit ......glad you got it fingered out...:D:birgits_tiredcoffee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1