Electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
1979, 1983
Truck Model
k25, c20
Engine Size
350 nv3500, 6.2TD th400
Well after looking at the wiring schematic I found my problem. The ground wire was completely severed from the drivers side and the pass ground wire was just holding on by a few strands. Replaced them and now it's good as new. I shoulda just looked for a bad ground to start with, that always seems have something to do with the electrical problems I run into.. Thanks for all your help fellas!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So it's just the front driver's side lights then technically is what you are saying? After the front body connector there is a splice that splits the brown wires to run to all the front park lights but I think you have a grounding issue or bad bulb or socket. Usually if the signal indicator in the dash is lit up it's back feeding current. I think you have a bad signal bulb. Check the turn signals operation as well and report back.

Mine does this exact same thing and I found the ground wire is ripped out of the back of the turn signal socket. So I have to replace that now.

Its usually just a bulb though, like 89s said.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Holy ****. :wtf: Sounds like a grounding issue somewhere. Let me dig up some tests...

Did you take the ground straps off the core support and clean them up? A lot of times they'll get a little crusty and not get a good ground. I had a dim DS headlight because of that.

Well after looking at the wiring schematic I found my problem. The ground wire was completely severed from the drivers side and the pass ground wire was just holding on by a few strands. Replaced them and now it's good as new. I shoulda just looked for a bad ground to start with, that always seems have something to do with the electrical problems I run into.. Thanks for all your help fellas!
:bleh::happy175:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Glad you got it figured out. Sometimes electrical problems can be a real bugger.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

adriner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
1979, 1983
Truck Model
k25, c20
Engine Size
350 nv3500, 6.2TD th400
I absolutely HATE doing anything electrical. It literally gives me a headache trying to figure it out. That's half the reason I stick with the old squares is cuz they're so easy to work on

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I absolutely HATE doing anything electrical. It literally gives me a headache trying to figure it out. That's half the reason I stick with the old squares is cuz they're so easy to work on
There was a time that I was like that.
Then----- shortly after I started wrenching for the Montana DOT there was an old wore out Alice Chalmers Loader that the engine was getting tired in,it also had multiple electrical problems,Always something or other shorting out,I was assigned that project.
Out came the engine,then the center pivots and electrical harness,completely stripped out,tagged each and every connector then stretched that harness out on several old plywood signs,nailing down each comnnector and splaying that harness out,cut off the electrical tape,banding a piece of tape around the harness at the intersections then duplicating that harness,less the connectors,got it complete then cut the pigtaqils off the old harness and soldered them onto the new harness,except for the ones that were availeable.
Completely rebuilt that old Alice,front to back,top to bottom,and all the hydraulics in between.
I got that old critter back together and every electrical item in it worked perfectly,the first time.
That ended My fear of electricals,what a good lesson.I learned to always start with the grounds,unless it was something real obvious.
Throughout My 31 years with them there were a lot of wiring issues but I never had another project like that one again,although,I was restoring a 1957 Triumph Thunderbird motorcycle and rebuilt the harness for that,it was easy compared to that old Alice.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
There was a time that I was like that.
Then----- shortly after I started wrenching for the Montana DOT there was an old wore out Alice Chalmers Loader that the engine was getting tired in,it also had multiple electrical problems,Always something or other shorting out,I was assigned that project.
Out came the engine,then the center pivots and electrical harness,completely stripped out,tagged each and every connector then stretched that harness out on several old plywood signs,nailing down each comnnector and splaying that harness out,cut off the electrical tape,banding a piece of tape around the harness at the intersections then duplicating that harness,less the connectors,got it complete then cut the pigtaqils off the old harness and soldered them onto the new harness,except for the ones that were availeable.
Completely rebuilt that old Alice,front to back,top to bottom,and all the hydraulics in between.
I got that old critter back together and every electrical item in it worked perfectly,the first time.
That ended My fear of electricals,what a good lesson.I learned to always start with the grounds,unless it was something real obvious.
Throughout My 31 years with them there were a lot of wiring issues but I never had another project like that one again,although,I was restoring a 1957 Triumph Thunderbird motorcycle and rebuilt the harness for that,it was easy compared to that old Alice.

Good job Adam! :High 5:

Marty I always like your old stories man. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe