Electrical help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEAVYCHEVY82

Reaction score
First Name
keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i have a 1982 silverado when i turn on my headlights my right turn signal stays solid green my gas guage goes to empty my fuel and speedo lights are dim and sometimes the blue bright light dots are on and flicker even though brights are not on i figure a ground or something but any info on where to start would be helpful.thanks.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yes, sounds like a grounding problem. Do you have access to a multimeter?

What I had found on my previous squares is the ground cable from the battery to the alternator bracket might be about the only good ground you have anymore. Often the ground strap at the back of the engine is bad, broken or missing (behind the engine and attaches onto the firewall).

What I have done on my vehicles is run another thick ground wire (at least 10 ga) to the frame itself. Lately all of my batteries have had both top post and side post. I buy a battery clamp and then run from the battery to the frame itself. Clean the frame down to the metal first.

I'm not sure where the grounds are on the dash- but having a grounded frame can definitely help when it comes to the headlights.

HEAVYCHEVY82

Reaction score
First Name
keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks i will check all that if it ever stops raining here in tn.wish i had a car port or shop. appreciate the response

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The grounds for the dash are up above the parking brake pedal on side panel. Look for at least two or three ground leads on that screw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jima337