Electric motor to swap for SBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
Care to expand on this?

Because of the high pollution of the air in the cities and surrounding areas they forbid you to drive into these areas if your vehicle is older than for example 7 years or doesn't meet particular emission regulations.
This rule is for trucks, cars, busses, rvs etc. In Germany there are 58 of these areas (urban access regulations), hundreds in Italy and numbers are rising. Only exception is if it's an historic car.
You have to get a sticker on your windshield and get fined 100$ and up if don't have one.
There are also additional bans for driving diesel vehicles....a real nightmare.

Does Austria allow engine swaps?

I'm fairly certain Germany is a no, but I could see a clean updated engine/exhaust being marketable to keep the older cars on the road with less pollution.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Does Austria allow engine swaps?

I'm fairly certain Germany is a no, but I could see a clean updated engine/exhaust being marketable to keep the older cars on the road with less pollution.

Yes it's possible in Austria but a real pain and involves a lot of $$$$$. You have to provide tons of paperwork from an authorized expert that everything is save. Most of the work has to be done by authorized auto repair shops which are really expensive here. When all work is done you have to go through various DMV inspections.
This option is way over my budget.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I’m curious why they skip the trans?

I know that’s how many oems do it, but the motors are in the hubs mostly.

There’s a company that repowers cars with electric motors, but they adapt to the input side of the trans. Albeit, they’re manuals and don’t have the efficiency losses of an automatic. I think it is in fact that EV west company...

Seems like an efficiently rotating manual would aid battery life in a heavy, blocky truck. Not to mention 4wd adaptation would be more straightforward.

I have actually been brainstorming a business to repower classic vehicles if the commies ever win and we lose petrol or it’s just too expensive. At least we could still mostly enjoy our old vehicles. We’d all discover what wind noise is all about real quick. Thank God for stereos. Looks like I’m behind the ball, again...

Just not necessary and the instant torque of electric would probably break parts anyway. The 'no transmission' imo is the only thing cool about electric. But I want a free energy AC electric car thank you very much.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
diesel electric hybrid would be more efficient.
Like trains...

Or the city buses they converted in Holland. The pulled the motor and transmission and installed a tiny 2 cyl diesel twisting a generator. The rear wheels have the motor built into them using the Japanese designed free wheeling motors. They did something with the magnets to eliminate the drag normal motors have.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Like trains...

Or the city buses they converted in Holland. The pulled the motor and transmission and installed a tiny 2 cyl diesel twisting a generator. The rear wheels have the motor built into them using the Japanese designed free wheeling motors. They did something with the magnets to eliminate the drag normal motors have.

My thoughts exactly which is superior to a motor and battery set up.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
if i could financially pick between an LS or a fully electric motor id go battery powered all the way. Seems like such a fun swap in any vehicle. And "unique" to boot.

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Were you raised in a barn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. And proud of it. Common sense seems to be an unommon virtue three days.

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Because of the high pollution of the air in the cities and surrounding areas they forbid you to drive into these areas if your vehicle is older than for example 7 years or doesn't meet particular emission regulations.
This rule is for trucks, cars, busses, rvs etc. In Germany there are 58 of these areas (urban access regulations), hundreds in Italy and numbers are rising. Only exception is if it's an historic car.
You have to get a sticker on your windshield and get fined 100$ and up if don't have one.
There are also additional bans for driving diesel vehicles....a real nightmare.

So the Nazis are still alive and well, huh? Jeez that sounds terrible

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
:gr_grin: yes, the green vegan fascists.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
That's pretty outdated. You can get 300-400 miles on a single charge now and there are 65,000 charging stations currently with almost that many currently under construction nationwide. They only take 20 minutes to bring the vehicle to an 80% charge from empty. So you would "fill up" on a long trip just like a regular car. Drive for 6 hours, pull off and plug in at a charging station, walk in and go to the bathroom get a snack and come out to an 80% charge. Its also cheaper per kWh than the equivalent amount of gas it would take.

GM is actually going to start selling electric crate conversions...
https://electrek.co/2020/10/29/gm-1977-k5-blazer-e-converted-electric-power-ecrate-conversion-kit/

I'm all for big block gas spewing old cars and trucks... but I'd take a converted electric K5 over a Tesla any day. I'd totally convert one just to daily back and forth to work, where I can charge for free. There are tons of rusted out donor shells sitting in fields, it would be a fun project
Fast-charging destroys batteries.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
Are you two volunteering to buy me an electric car? I can't afford to fix my old broken gas vehicles let alone buy an electric vehicle or an electric conversion. Don't think I've ever seen a charging station either. But what the **** would I know I'm outdated.
No you are not outdated, you are stating reality.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Fast-charging destroys batteries.

That's just not true.

The reason it only fast charges to 80% is that there is a safe charging curve for batteries. The last 20% of the charge is what takes the longest to charge without damaging the battery. All of these cars have their own built in charging regulation systems that are designed to not allow the batteries to be damaged during charging. There is a possibility to damage some lithium batteries in other applications when fast charging due to using chargers not specifically designed for that battery, heat created during fast charging, or continuing to charge once the battery is full. The automotive systems don't have any of these problems as most of them carry the charging safety systems on-board and have battery cooling systems in place. That's why when you walk past an electric car charging at a station, you can often hear a fan going as it is dumping waste heat from the charge.

The biggest issue with fast charging is that your charging for minimum time, not maximum efficiency, so you waste more energy charging the battery than you would normally. A good analogy would be trying to get somewhere fast, so you are getting worse gas mileage. Although in this case the loss in efficiency is much less than in the gas engine analogy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128