Electric motor to swap for SBC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I think electric cars fit the mold for plenty of people in cities and suburbs throughout America. And as more people move to the cities it'll only grow the market. 82% of Americans live in an urban environment and a large majority don't drive over 400 miles a day, if you divide the average driven miles by days in the year it is 36.
The only massive obstacle imo is price.

That's pretty outdated. You can get 300-400 miles on a single charge now and there are 65,000 charging stations currently with almost that many currently under construction nationwide. They only take 20 minutes to bring the vehicle to an 80% charge from empty. So you would "fill up" on a long trip just like a regular car. Drive for 6 hours, pull off and plug in at a charging station, walk in and go to the bathroom get a snack and come out to an 80% charge. Its also cheaper per kWh than the equivalent amount of gas it would take.

GM is actually going to start selling electric crate conversions...
https://electrek.co/2020/10/29/gm-1977-k5-blazer-e-converted-electric-power-ecrate-conversion-kit/

I'm all for big block gas spewing old cars and trucks... but I'd take a converted electric K5 over a Tesla any day. I'd totally convert one just to daily back and forth to work, where I can charge for free. There are tons of rusted out donor shells sitting in fields, it would be a fun project

Are you two volunteering to buy me an electric car? I can't afford to fix my old broken gas vehicles let alone buy an electric vehicle or an electric conversion. Don't think I've ever seen a charging station either. But what the **** would I know I'm outdated.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Interesting thread. Several years ago I moved my daughter to San Francisco. Loaded up a U-Haul with all her stuff and a tow bar with her VW GTI and drove from Central FL to San Francisco. Just the two of us. Pretty cool trip.

Anyway, after we got there and all her stuff unloaded and returned the U-Haul, we went out to lunch at a posh section of town and there happened to be a Tesla store right on the street. It was weird....
It was literally a store like someplace you'd go and buy merchandise. There was a single Tesla S in the store and then a chassis with the battery, drive train and suspension for all to see. That filled up the entire store. Thats all there was.

They had three cars they were giving test drives out of a parking garage down the street. There was a two week waitlist just to take a test drive.

Keep in mind this was at least 7 years ago. Maybe longer.

I talked at length with a salesman. At that time the cost was $80k for the S. Tesla was in the process of building fast charge (20 min) recharge stations so they could drive one from CA to NYC.

The batteries would last about 7 years. The cost to replace them after that 7 year period......$25k. Tesla, at the time was offering the first battery replacement for free as part of the cost of the car.
They literally remove the body of the car and rolled a new chassis underneath it as the batteries are built into the chassis.

I know I'll never be able to own one so I'll just keep pissing off the tree huggers..

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Are you two volunteering to buy me an electric car? I can't afford to fix my old broken gas vehicles let alone buy an electric vehicle or an electric conversion. Don't think I've ever seen a charging station either. But what the **** would I know I'm outdated.

I'm not exactly the target audience and obviously neither are you... but it is a surprisingly affordable and reasonable alternative to a lot of the new production vehicles. Just think of how fast the butt ugly Cyber Truck pre-orders filled up. The base model cyber truck is expected to be around 40k and have comparable performance to this kit. Its another interesting alternative to keep these old vehicles on the road for the future. Especially for states like California that have very strict emissions standards and have started passing regulations requiring all new vehicles to be electric by 2035. This will most certainly drive more plentiful and accessible charging stations if nothing else. Most of the fast charge stations are located along the major interstates right now with the slow charge stations located at smaller stores and other areas. We have a bunch at Wahlgreens, you've probably seen a bunch and never even noticed. They are building a crazy amount of new stations right now. The adoption of electric long haul trucks will also help to provide the infrastructure for the interstate fast charging stations for the average American. The biggest hurdle right now and most expensive part is definitely the batteries. I would expect to see some massive growth in battery technology as demand finally starts to push these developments forward. There are already some technologies working their way from experimental to practical application that would decrease weight and cost by a huge factor while also increasing energy density and charge cycles by a tremendous amount. It seems like the trend is working towards you not being able to buy a new gasoline powered vehicle anywhere in the world in about 15 years.

I still drive a 1993 Honda Civic as my daily that I bought for $200 and will continue to do so until it gets stolen or literally falls apart. I paid $800 for my 1980 K25 and will probably have about 5k into engine/trans/body/suspension upgrades and that's it. I'll also be keeping it and driving it until it won't drive any more. If we get a much better infrastructure and I get a lot more time and money, I might consider doing an electric conversion like this to an older suburban some time in the future to replace my wife's totally stock 2011 Suburban when it finally kicks the bucket... but realistically I try to keep my experimenting and modifications to my shitboxes and keep a factory vehicle for family trips and my wife to drive.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you haven't seen it yet. Here is the new all electric hummer's release video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Some pretty interesting features to say the least but for $100k+ is stupid.

The Rivian, Nikola or even more so the Atlis purposed offerings including a dually. Sound like decent possibilities. Electric motors have huge gains and undeniable performance. But longevity, in my mind, is highly questionable. And the cost is just outright too high.

However, I am in the "its not quite there yet" boat. I also feel as though liquid natural gas completely got overlooked for a decent solution and everyone jumped right into batteries. Why? Who knows. More then likely, battery companies have more pull then LNG companies.

Im seen as the slow, old redneck driving his "slow", old, tree hating Trump voting, freedom breathing chevy truck. So take my $.02 with a grain of salt.

The reason the conversions bypass the trans is that electric motors spin at stupid high rpm. Which would most likely demolish a normal trans in short order, plus the huge torque they produce. Since they are able to spin that fast they also do not really need a trans in order to operate. Their biggest NEED is miniminal amounts of drag and weight, both things all of our trucks have in spades.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
No thanks. Life has no meaning if I can't burn gasoline and destroy the planet. I love to watch snowflakes melt and liberals cry.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I’m curious why they skip the trans?

I know that’s how many oems do it, but the motors are in the hubs mostly.

There’s a company that repowers cars with electric motors, but they adapt to the input side of the trans. Albeit, they’re manuals and don’t have the efficiency losses of an automatic. I think it is in fact that EV west company...

Seems like an efficiently rotating manual would aid battery life in a heavy, blocky truck. Not to mention 4wd adaptation would be more straightforward.

I have actually been brainstorming a business to repower classic vehicles if the commies ever win and we lose petrol or it’s just too expensive. At least we could still mostly enjoy our old vehicles. We’d all discover what wind noise is all about real quick. Thank God for stereos. Looks like I’m behind the ball, again...

Someone did that with a 5 speed manual Forester. I think they live in Montana or Wyoming. It was a clean mod, the way they did it.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
That's pretty outdated. You can get 300-400 miles on a single charge now and there are 65,000 charging stations currently with almost that many currently under construction nationwide. They only take 20 minutes to bring the vehicle to an 80% charge from empty. So you would "fill up" on a long trip just like a regular car. Drive for 6 hours, pull off and plug in at a charging station, walk in and go to the bathroom get a snack and come out to an 80% charge. Its also cheaper per kWh than the equivalent amount of gas it would take.

GM is actually going to start selling electric crate conversions...
https://electrek.co/2020/10/29/gm-1977-k5-blazer-e-converted-electric-power-ecrate-conversion-kit/

I'm all for big block gas spewing old cars and trucks... but I'd take a converted electric K5 over a Tesla any day. I'd totally convert one just to daily back and forth to work, where I can charge for free. There are tons of rusted out donor shells sitting in fields, it would be a fun project
we must have different standards of what a fill-up is. When I drive cross country I want to get there as fast as possible. I drive as far as I can until I physically cannot be kept up any longer by caffiene or semi-legal stimulants (I refuse to do meth, that's where I draw the line though), then I pull over grab a drink and and sleep for a couple hours in a parking lot, wake up and turn the key. I eat at drive throughs (as gross as that may be I'm on my way somewhere, not enjoying some scenic drive, I don't have time to find good food), when needed I piss real quick (either at a rest stop or on the side of the road, I go when nature calls but comfort is second, first when most convenient). When I pump gas I do it as quick as I can then hop right back in the truck (likely still running) and hit the road, and I expect the tank to be full, not 32 gallons in a 40 gallon tank. Even if there are more charging stations available than there were 5 years ago, I'd like to not have ANY worry about finding one (one of the things I don't even like about diesel and even a diesel pump is about 100 times more common than electric station, and parking for half an hour when I do. Haven't you ever been late somewhere but almost out of gas so you pull over and throw like two gallons in just so you don't have to waste another couple minutes? I can fill up later, but sometimes I don't even have 5 minutes to mess around, let alone 20-40min.

Stop trying to rationalize a technology that still isn't up to snuff. One day it will be, I'm not here saying it'll never work, but for anything other than commuting short distances by a local homeowner it currently still isn't yet practical. And even when practical for daily use for commuting, there is still no excuse for ruining a classic vehicle with that gay ****. They make some powerful 4cyl turbo engines that get decent mileage as well, do you think that's a cool thing to throw under the hood of a square? I might consider replacing my wife's little Mazda with an electric car if gas prices were unaffordable 20 years from now. At the same time, I might consider swapping my 350 for a Cadillac 500 and drive with open headers if they decide to make gasoline powered vehicles illegal 30 years from now. I would never put an electric engine in any truck as long as I live, it's just not right.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
we must have different standards of what a fill-up is. When I drive cross country I want to get there as fast as possible. I drive as far as I can until I physically cannot be kept up any longer by caffiene or semi-legal stimulants (I refuse to do meth, that's where I draw the line though), then I pull over grab a drink and and sleep for a couple hours in a parking lot, wake up and turn the key. I eat at drive throughs (as gross as that may be I'm on my way somewhere, not enjoying some scenic drive, I don't have time to find good food), when needed I piss real quick (either at a rest stop or on the side of the road, I go when nature calls but comfort is second, first when most convenient). When I pump gas I do it as quick as I can then hop right back in the truck (likely still running) and hit the road, and I expect the tank to be full, not 32 gallons in a 40 gallon tank. Even if there are more charging stations available than there were 5 years ago, I'd like to not have ANY worry about finding one (one of the things I don't even like about diesel and even a diesel pump is about 100 times more common than electric station, and parking for half an hour when I do. Haven't you ever been late somewhere but almost out of gas so you pull over and throw like two gallons in just so you don't have to waste another couple minutes? I can fill up later, but sometimes I don't even have 5 minutes to mess around, let alone 20-40min.

Stop trying to rationalize a technology that still isn't up to snuff. One day it will be, I'm not here saying it'll never work, but for anything other than commuting short distances by a local homeowner it currently still isn't yet practical. And even when practical for daily use for commuting, there is still no excuse for ruining a classic vehicle with that gay ****. They make some powerful 4cyl turbo engines that get decent mileage as well, do you think that's a cool thing to throw under the hood of a square? I might consider replacing my wife's little Mazda with an electric car if gas prices were unaffordable 20 years from now. At the same time, I might consider swapping my 350 for a Cadillac 500 and drive with open headers if they decide to make gasoline powered vehicles illegal 30 years from now. I would never put an electric engine in any truck as long as I live, it's just not right.

Wow... there’s a lot to unpack there. I’m not rationalizing anything, I’m pointing out the technology has officially reached the point where it is feasible for probably 75% or more of American drivers. Your arguments seem to be based completely on emotion and personal attacks on people’s sexuality....

It’s obviously not for everyone. It’s kind of a neat thing and I would be tempted as an engineer just to do something like that for the blend of old and new. These things are getting sent to the crusher and parted out left and right. If it could save one, I don’t think it would be “gay” at all. You would have more horsepower and torque than any motor offered new from the factory in a square. You also get about the same range that 350 or 454 that you would need to get comparable power and tow ratings gets. That 8mpg in your 454 pulling a trailer, with dual 20 gal tanks gets you about 300 miles. You get about 240 miles of range on that 80% charge. And good luck filling both saddle tanks in less than 20 minutes.

You obviously live a much more hectic life than me and have no time for anything I guess... I’m having a hard time thinking of how a 20 minute break every 3 1/2 hours of driving is unreasonable. I’m just never in that much of a hurry. And to your argument about being in a rush and just putting that little bit in to get to work in the morning... you plug it in at night, you’d never have to worry about waking up and having the “E” light on again. Heck, I’ve got friends with electric cars that have only ever had to find a charging station on cross country trips. They get their complete day to day charging overnight or plugged in for free at work. I’ve known several people that drive cross country in Tesla’s and had no inconvenience at all. One from Oregon to New York and back and one that drove from Oregon to Arizona and back. It’s still a very young technology, but now that the big 3 have jumped in with both feet it is going to be maturing very rapidly.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
In Europe more and more cities ban old cars. This would be great for a weekend cruiser. Like a nice 60ies c10 shortbed. Add a good soundbooster system plus fake pipes and only you will know it's electric.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Your arguments seem to be based completely on emotion and personal attacks on people’s sexuality....
lol what? I just explained why electric engines aren't good for long road trips on a time limit. And when did I personally attack anyone? I never made it personal in any regard besides talking about my own personal experience with how I often use automobiles in a hurry. And especially when was I talking about anything of a sexual nature? Hah, mind outta the gutter buddy

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
good luck filling both saddle tanks in less than 20 minutes.
I have a suburban, it's only one tank. And yeah it takes about 5 minutes to fill. My old longbed had saddle tanks, it was even faster to fill because smaller tanks and you can usually pull up between two pumps and fill both tanks at the same time. Worst case scenario you can only use one pump you just drop the filler on the ground, hop in the truck, turn it around, pick the hose up and fill up the other side, adds maybe 30 seconds?

You obviously live a much more hectic life than me and have no time for anything I guess... I’m just never in that much of a hurry
I'm from New England man, we're all in a hurry, all the time. I grew up in CT and now live up in northern NH where it's a little more relaxed but I work near the MA border so it's a shitshow down there too lol. It's a fast paced life over here. Whenever I go out west and mention that I'm from the northeast or talk to someone from from down south they always say "wow people drive so fast there and everyone's in such a hurry and so rude, it's intimidating". Idk, just a different way of life, what can I say.
I'm a busy man and there's only 24 hours in a day, what can I say. I work a demanding full time job usually with lots of overtime, I have a family, own a fleet of vehicles that always need something worked on, and own a home which is also constant work. All that PLUS trying to find time to enjoy myself once in a blue moon, if I waste even a few minutes of my life on stuff like standing around waiting for a battery to charge it seems like, well, a waste. I'm also not a fan of watching paint dry. Maybe when I'm retired I can take it easy, but I'm only 32, right now time is money.

I’m having a hard time thinking of how a 20 minute break every 3 1/2 hours of driving is unreasonable.
Going cross country on a 30+ hour drive, if you toss in another 20 minutes (more if you actually want full range) every 3-4 hours, you're going to tack another 5-6 hours onto that drive. That's the same reason I drive above the speed limit, I'm trying to get there as quickly as possible. I'm having a hard time thinking of how it's acceptable to waste 6 hours when you're headed somewhere unless you're really just driving aimlessly sightseeing, which I am never doing

Like I said, sounds like we live very different lives and that's cool, all I'm saying is that what works for you just might not work for everyone else. Shouldn't be so hard to understand

And to your argument about being in a rush and just putting that little bit in to get to work in the morning... you plug it in at night, you’d never have to worry about waking up and having the “E” light on again. Heck, I’ve got friends with electric cars that have only ever had to find a charging station on cross country trips. They get their complete day to day charging overnight or plugged in for free at work. I’ve known several people that drive cross country in Tesla’s and had no inconvenience at all. One from Oregon to New York and back and one that drove from Oregon to Arizona and back. It’s still a very young technology, but now that the big 3 have jumped in with both feet it is going to be maturing very rapidly.

I wasn't talking about heading to work in the morning, I said "have you ever been late somewhere and didn't have time to waste filling up". There are plenty of reasons you might not be near your charging station at home. There are MANY times I'm headed somewhere and not coming directly from home in the morning.

Made up but totally realistic scenario- Maybe you stayed late somewhere working on a side job and crashed for a few hours on a couch at a friend's apartment nearby then went straight to your normal job in the morning, then had to go somewhere a couple hours away for an appointment that was scheduled with just enough time to go there straight from work, then you have to rush out of there to make it to some store before they close, then god willing make it back home so you can try to spend a few minutes with your kid before putting her to bed (owning a home and supporting a family on one income ain't a walk in the park). That right there could easily be 4-500 miles of driving never once having a place to plug in. And that's just one example, life happens sometimes.

it is not uncommon for me to have to fill up two or more times in the same day depending on what I'm driving (some of my vehicles do not have huge tanks).

I agree for a lot of people it could work, but for many many people the technology still isn't there yet. Plus currently it's all still extremely expensive to boot. Once again I too agree that in a few more years the technology will be stepped up and it will become much more practical and probably more affordable too, but as you said yourself right now it is still a very young technology and needs to come a LONG way before it is a reasonable option IMO.

And I would still never put an electric motor in a classic truck. To each their own, but I personally think it would ruin the entire vehicle.

Last edited:

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
In Europe more and more cities ban old cars. This would be great for a weekend cruiser. Like a nice 60ies c10 shortbed. Add a good soundbooster system plus fake pipes and only you will know it's electric.
that makes me sad to even think about : (

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Care to expand on this?

Because of the high pollution of the air in the cities and surrounding areas they forbid you to drive into these areas if your vehicle is older than for example 7 years or doesn't meet particular emission regulations.
This rule is for trucks, cars, busses, rvs etc. In Germany there are 58 of these areas (urban access regulations), hundreds in Italy and numbers are rising. Only exception is if it's an historic car.
You have to get a sticker on your windshield and get fined 100$ and up if don't have one.
There are also additional bans for driving diesel vehicles....a real nightmare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell