EGR Valve Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pmcb

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I just replaced the EGR valve and CTS, this fixed the very hard start problem in my 87 GMC V1500 350TBI. But the EGR that I got did not have the EGR number of the one I replaced listed so I could not add the correct spacer to match the existing one. Though it starts much better, it misses until warm and is throwing a 22 code and 33 code.
How can I know what spacer to use for the EGR? I am running no spacer now and thought of just trying a few?

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I just replaced the EGR valve and CTS, this fixed the very hard start problem in my 87 GMC V1500 350TBI. But the EGR that I got did not have the EGR number of the one I replaced listed so I could not add the correct spacer to match the existing one. Though it starts much better, it misses until warm and is throwing a 22 code and 33 code.
How can I know what spacer to use for the EGR? I am running no spacer now and thought of just trying a few?

you don't need an EGR spacer that I am aware of. but there are different EGR valves that work on positive or negative pressure. it is critical that you get the correct application for your year/engine and I would get an AC Delco one to make sure it is correct.

Pmcb

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Thanks, I did order a Delphi that is listed on several sites as the correct one.. The one I got was from Auto Zone that they said was for my truck. It came with a bag of what I called spacers, they are washers with different size openings each marked with a number. You are supposed to find the number from your existing EGR and there is a list that shows which number washer to use. Unfortunately the number on my old EGR was not listed. Hopefully the new one will be the correct one.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
here was the post from my lesson learned on the EGR. it has the Delco part number.

Pmcb

Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the information. If the Delphi does not work at least I know what to go to.

pinballlarry1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 6 cylinder
sounds like you are referring to a selection of different sized orifices to regulate how much exhaust gas recirculation is allowed when the valve is opened. You need to measure the passageway opening size of the old valve and install the closest size orifice wherever it is meant to be installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef