Edlebrock carb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverLakeYfz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well i cleaned and rebuild my edlebrock 1405 since it sat with old gas in it for a while. Put new floats in and adjusted them. New metering jets nd stuff. Well now it fires up a lot better and sits and idles with the choke on a lot better than before. Only problem is it wont idle off choke. Never would idle before even with choke so its gotten better since rebuild, just may need tuned. Looking for insight so when it finally gets warmer i can tune it. Also when idling on choke it will pop out of the exhaust every once awhile.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
first the idle speed most likely needs setup higher to make it idle. it's on the side where the throttle cable hooks and the screw faces the front of the truck with a spring around it, it's like a 1/4 head with a flat blade screwdrive slot in it.

then...

you need to turn the mixture screws on the front in until it stumbles and then out to max rpms. or with a vac. gaguge turn them otut to get the highest vacuum number.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Edelbrock

Well i cleaned and rebuild my edlebrock 1405 since it sat with old gas in it for a while. Put new floats in and adjusted them. New metering jets nd stuff. Well now it fires up a lot better and sits and idles with the choke on a lot better than before. Only problem is it wont idle off choke. Never would idle before even with choke so its gotten better since rebuild, just may need tuned. Looking for insight so when it finally gets warmer i can tune it. Also when idling on choke it will pop out of the exhaust every once awhile.

Are your metering rods & helper springs correct for your application? Edelbrock tech support is TOP NOTCH with helping find the right parts. Also, turn in both front set screws all the way in (one at a time), then back out 3-4 turns (make sure you go slow & count right. Mine's right at 3 1/2.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that's only a good initial setting, fine tuning should be done with a vac. gauge or at least a tach to get them as good as can be. vac. would be best, most vac. is perfect setting.

supercharged

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
How well did you really clean it out ?

Pull it off and really clean it out.

Just my opinion ,the **** gas we get these days,with all the ethonol and crap it can't sit for more than 6 months before it turns to white crusty **** that clogs up jets.

Hummm

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Take the top off and put compressed air on the primaries if you didnt when you cleaned it out. That is how you blow the goop out of the idle circuits. Then be sure to use a good paper element fuel filter, not one of those "cleanable screen" pieces of crap.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, my first guess will be there is a tiny idle circuit orfice that is gummed up. That is the #1 failure of these Eddys. They don't like trash or **** in them. Very important to clean the idle circuits and use a good inline filter. I like to use 2 inline filters. One before the fuel pump and 1 after.

Next would be Vac Leak.

And of course this is all assuming the idle screws are set right.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

SilverLakeYfz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
carb was completely torn down and put in the part washer. Venturi's sprayed out with carb cleaner and air. Im pretty sure i got all the other little ports and stuff sprayed wit carb cleaner and air. Only have the idle screws out 2 turns though. When it gets warmer ill have to try them screwed out to around 3 turns

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
again that's ONLY a base line to start by, raise the idle speed then fine tune them as I described.

SilverLakeYfz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Ill give it a shot. Like I said Im only looking for insight right now so that when i go to work on it when it gets warm again ill know where to start my baselines. Havent rele got to run the motor since rebuilding the carb but from what i can tell it has gotten better since cleaning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns