Edelbrock intake fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Friends,

The day has finally come. I've heard horror stories about the Rochester quadrajet from every Chevy guy I've ever met. My truck is running rich, so I ordered the long flexible adjustment tool to lean er up.

It doesn't come in till next week, but it got me thinking. I HATE all the terrible vacuum lines in my engine compartment. I'm thinking it's time to switch to an edelbrock performer intake. Problem is, I see they are built for edelbrock carbs. I'm currently looking at the edelbrock 2701. Will this bolt up to my q jet?

Truck specs:
1979 C20
350, stock carb and manifold.
4bbl q jet (with annoying her adjustment screws that are a PITA to get to)

Thanks!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Your gonna want to look at a an intake designed for use with a spread bore carb.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The 2701 is a square bore intake for Holley and Edelbrock/Carter, the Performer is a spread bore for the Q-Jet, you can use the 2701 with a Q-Jet but you'll have to use an adapter.. BTW, only reason you heard horror stories is because they don't know/understand how a Q-Jet works..

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The 2701 is a square bore intake for Holley and Edelbrock/Carter, the Performer is a spread bore for the Q-Jet, you can use the 2701 with a Q-Jet but you'll have to use an adapter.. BTW, only reason you heard horror stories is because they don't know/understand how a Q-Jet works..

I heard horror stories too untill I got one and had it working flawlessly.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I heard horror stories too untill I got one and had it working flawlessly.
Yep, they're not rocket science just different and just like any other carb, if you don't understand how it works you have no clue on how to tune one, it's a shame people won't take the time to learn how they work instead of bashing them, they do give good performance and mileage..

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yep, they're not rocket science just different and just like any other carb, if you don't understand how it works you have no clue on how to tune one, it's a shame people won't take the time to learn how they work instead of bashing them, they do give good performance and mileage..
Exactly. Just like you hear some guys bashing Holleys or Edelbrocks. The problem is the bashers are sometimes "trusted mechanics with lots of experience". So what's a guy to think?

If I had a Q-jet, I'd buy the book by Cliff Ruggles and figure out how to make it work. And go here for the proper parts and tech support.
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You don't need to get a different intake to get rid of the vacuum lines either. I got rid of my lines when I rebuilt my Qjet. If your engine is pretty much stock, a Performer intake is not going make a huge noticeable gain in performance either. Learn how to tune the Qjet and optimize what you have, IMO.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You don't need to get a different intake to get rid of the vacuum lines either. I got rid of my lines when I rebuilt my Qjet. If your engine is pretty much stock a Performer I take is not going make a huge noticeable gain in performance either. Learn how to tune the Qjet and optimize what you have, IMO.

Good idea!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Exactly. Just like you hear some guys bashing Holleys or Edelbrocks. The problem is the bashers are sometimes "trusted mechanics with lots of experience". So what's a guy to think?

If I had a Q-jet, I'd buy the book by Cliff Ruggles and figure out how to make it work. And go here for the proper parts and tech support.
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/
Yeah, thing is the "trusted mechanics with lots of experience" don't have experience with "everything", it's a matter of preference but just because you don't like something and don't understand it no need to bash it. I'm not really a fan of the Q-Jet mainly for lack of simplicity but I learned how they work and how to tune them, and I use them because they flat out work good..

That is a good book to learn them, that's where I get my parts too, they have quality stuff..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc