Edelbrock heads, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Alright, I found a set of supposedly barely used edelbrock performer heads on craigslist for $900. Called the guy he's throwing on an 871 blower and needed lower compression, hence selling these off. Now unfortunately they are the 110 cc chambers so it would kill my compression. I currently have closed chamber heads rated at 98 cc, I never measured them so for now I'm assuming they're in the ballpark. My current compression is about 9.27, changing heads would drop me to 8.48. If I were to switch to a thin head gasket I could get about 8.77. Would this drop in compression kill most of what I'd gain from the improved flow? I also called the machine shop I know and they quoted me $176 per head to mill them down to bump my compression, then abit more to get my intake matched, so unless I got it cheaper that's a bust.

Basically would the improved flow really benefit me that much? I'm thinking that I could probably match any gains by doing the cam swap I've wanted and maybe a set of thinner head gaskets.

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevy-454-edelbrock-engine/6462459830.html

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Alright, I found a set of supposedly barely used edelbrock performer heads on craigslist for $900. Called the guy he's throwing on an 871 blower and needed lower compression, hence selling these off. Now unfortunately they are the 110 cc chambers so it would kill my compression. I currently have closed chamber heads rated at 98 cc, I never measured them so for now I'm assuming they're in the ballpark. My current compression is about 9.27, changing heads would drop me to 8.48. If I were to switch to a thin head gasket I could get about 8.77. Would this drop in compression kill most of what I'd gain from the improved flow? I also called the machine shop I know and they quoted me $176 per head to mill them down to bump my compression, then abit more to get my intake matched, so unless I got it cheaper that's a bust.

Basically would the improved flow really benefit me that much? I'm thinking that I could probably match any gains by doing the cam swap I've wanted and maybe a set of thinner head gaskets.

https://bozeman.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevy-454-edelbrock-engine/6462459830.html
Compression is horsepower. Whether you force it in or NA. You can have awesome flow numbers but if the squeeze isn’t good, your not gonna benefit. That is a good price and 110cc isn’t bad either. Are you racing or working the truck? The weight savings over cast iron is nice too. There are other benefits to aluminum heads as well.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Compression is horsepower. Whether you force it in or NA. You can have awesome flow numbers but if the squeeze isn’t good, your not gonna benefit. That is a good price and 110cc isn’t bad either. Are you racing or working the truck? The weight savings over cast iron is nice too. There are other benefits to aluminum heads as well.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the drop in compression being too much for me to spring for them atm. It's my daily driver, it does see some light work occasionally but it probably won't be pulling anything heavier than 4000 pounds for quite awhile. Overall it gets driven more like a hot rod than a work truck, but I want it to remain capable when I need it. Weight isn't much of a factor atm, if I want to trim a few pounds I could drop my second battery and tire chains in the summer.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
What do you want them for? I have a friend that bought a set of edelbrock heads, used a big roller cam and it doesn't pull over 4600 rpm as it goes pig as rich like there's not enough air flow. Dont get me wrong its any gear, any rpm smoking tires below 4600 but, its limited.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Maybe just mod your cast iron heads? Install the next size larger exhaust valve and then open the bowl...?
Knock the valve guide bosses down at least 50% or more. Match intakes and exhaust to the gaskets.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I don't see alot of bang for the buck there at the price point.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
290cc intake on the Edelbrock with low compression? I mean, I would do it with the right cam and the thought of santa bringing my a set of turbos.

These heads are a mismatch for you.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
290cc intake on the Edelbrock with low compression? I mean, I would do it with the right cam and the thought of santa bringing my a set of turbos.

These heads are a mismatch for you.

Didnt he also say it came with a blower?

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I knew it wouldn't be an ideal combo and the drop in compression would hurt. I just wanted to make sure the other factors wouldn't be enough to make them still worth while (better flow, better chamber design). Some people really talk down the early closed chamber heads so I thought I'd get some more opinions. Was a lot more exciting when I thought they might be the 100cc chambers

And I spose this way I can keep telling people I have 427 corvette heads, lol

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Didnt he also say it came with a blower?

No blower, the guy was selling these heads because he decided to change to a blower setup.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
No blower, the guy was selling these heads because he decided to change to a blower setup.

lol guess I need to stay off facebook, I swear I read that as he is throwing IN a 871.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising