Edelbrock 1406 Q's (Gadgetman groove & Lower PSI)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Back in February I came across an article claiming going from 8.5 mpg to 15 mpg in a 76 truck with a 350 in it. The most I got out of it was the "lowering the fuel pressure" recommendation they claim Edelbrock told them.

He performed a mod called "Gadgetman Groove" on his carb as well as lowering the incoming fuel pressure, and tuning the carb from there. Link to forum below.

So I open it up again today and take notice to the "Gadgetman Groove" bit in the same post and googled it. A few video's with good results.

http://www.gadgetmangroove.com/index.php/kunena/carbureted-vehicles/607-76-chev-1-ton-350-cid-88-mileage-increase

With all that Being said, here's my questions.

1. Does anyone know anything about the gadgetman groove? Good/bad?

2. Does the info the poster claims edelbrock says about lower the fuel pressure sound right? Makes sense to me, but I thought I would check with you guys.

Thanks Guys

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm no Carb expert but I'd think all the lowering of the fuel pressure would do is make sure no excess fuel is getting past the needle and seat or putting to much pressure on the needle and seat. It's not fuel injection, so fuel pressure is going to control how it runs. The carb takes care of all that. The carb is what distributes and meters the fuel and air that is allowed to enter the intake system.

I've always been told 4 is the minimum fuel pressure you'd want to run on a carbed vehicle, no more than 7. They will run on 3 but likely to have a starvation problem. So 5lbs is probably a good # to make sure you have enough fuel without putting alot of pressure on the needle and seat.

As far as the gadgetman groove, Nope never heard of it but it sounds interesting and worthy of checking out.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So the O2 sensor makes the ECM supply less fuel to compensate for lower Oxygen levels to keep the air fuel ratio correct. Sounds good in theory but it sounds more like a good con job to sell you this stuff. I have a hard time believing that if it works, nobody knows about it.

And I don't see how his throttle valve lip is gonna have much impact on air flow.

Now that I think of it wouldn't a really dense volume of air cause the mixture to be extremely lean and cause engine damage before the benefits from the ECM would be seen. I mean 1,000,000 x denser wouldn't that only take one combustion cycle to do damage ?

I don't know. It just comes across as a con job, I mean he doesn't give you any substantial science. just a come see me and ill hook you up. LOL

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
After reading all 8 posts, I noticed on post 8 he mentions HHO. I've looked into HHO in the past and didn't like the idea of a small container of "Browns Gas" under the hood for safety reasons. Other than that, I would have tried it on my lawn mower already.

With that being said, I try to keep an open mind on fuel saving ideas until I see something definite that proves it won't work, a theory thats way off in left field, or that big sales pitch we've all seen before.

LOL I've actually been close to ordering that little clamp on magnet you put on your fuel line to better align the molecules of the fuel. One website has them for around $12.

One thing I do believe is if you can better vaporize the fuel, it will burn cleaner and require less fuel.

Again I'm trying to think outside the box, while taking these ideas with a grain of salt. I'm not going to go out and spend $350+ on a gut feeling.

LOL this is starting to turn into that post I mentioned in another. I expect some ridicule on this one if it keeps going.

Thanks for your comments

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris