Edelbrock 1405 carb running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
It “runs” but only for a few seconds, if I touch the throttle jt chokes out and if I keep pumping throttle to kee it running it backfires.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It “runs” but only for a few seconds, if I touch the throttle jt chokes out and if I keep pumping throttle to kee it running it backfires.
is your throttle return spring attached and what is the choke currently set at, what temp is your garage

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Throttle return spring is connected, no choke hooked up but I kept closing the flap but it would open again when pumped throttle, I believe it’s around 30° currently.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Dad couldn’t keep it running he would pour some gas directly into carb as a boost and it would start for a second and die and if you tried pumping throttle to keep it running it would back fire, is the problem just cold weather at this point? Is the carb too lean now after changing the jets and rods? Is it still too rich? Why can’t I touch the throttle without it killing the engine or making it backfire?
Edit: without pouring a little gas directly in the engine would fire a couple times but nothing after letting off the key. Could this carb honestly be junk? Should I just go back to a q-jet? Or possibly one of the many old holleys I have?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Dad couldn’t keep it running he would pour some gas directly into carb as a boost and it would start for a second and die and if you tried pumping throttle to keep it running it would back fire, is the problem just cold weather at this point? Is the carb too lean now after changing the jets and rods? Is it still too rich? Why can’t I touch the throttle without it killing the engine or making it backfire?
Edit: without pouring a little gas directly in the engine would fire a couple times but nothing after letting off the key. Could this carb honestly be junk? Should I just go back to a q-jet? Or possibly one of the many old holleys I have?
you have an edelbrock yes? You have any carb spray or starting fluid? if you cant get it to run continious, that sounds like a timing thing to me. Were the plugs you took out put back in? maybe they fouled/flooded too much to start. I wouldnt worry about the carb aspect, you need to verify youre timing thing, maybe you stabbed it 180 degrees off, as the previous question is did you put it in on the compression stroke. if not on the compression stroke, it could appear to be correct but not do much

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
you have an edelbrock yes? You have any carb spray or starting fluid? if you cant get it to run continious, that sounds like a timing thing to me. Were the plugs you took out put back in? maybe they fouled/flooded too much to start. I wouldnt worry about the carb aspect, you need to verify youre timing thing, maybe you stabbed it 180 degrees off, as the previous question is did you put it in on the compression stroke. if not on the compression stroke, it could appear to be correct but not do much
also is the choke electric? If it keeps opening, just unplug it for the time being. also id makee sure your distributor is getting power in run and crank vs just crank

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Yes compression stroke, I think the longest it ran was about 15 seconds and that was pumping gas when engine would slow down. It eventually back fired and I stopped. I would believe the fouled/flooded plugs. Also mix of cold weather.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
1405 has a manual choke, I’m trying to find a way to rig up the cable, I can’t find anything online about a bracket to mount it. I assume it has power during cranking and ignition. It ran, poorly, before I leaned the jets and rods, could it be too lean now?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes compression stroke, I think the longest it ran was about 15 seconds and that was pumping gas when engine would slow down. It eventually back fired and I stopped. I would believe the fouled/flooded plugs. Also mix of cold weather.
how cold is it. if you were running for 15 seconds, your choke was all the way open, and it stalled out, that sounds like advance perhaps is having issues. is your vac advance hooked up, is your distributor advance weights clean/clear not sticking. Is your rotor and cap in good shape. the more resistance your spark has to fight to get to the plug, if they are especially mis-gaped and fouled, you may just not have enough spark to keep it going. i would pull a plug or two and see what you got on them. clean them . check the cap and rotor, weights.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
1405 has a manual choke, I’m trying to find a way to rig up the cable, I can’t find anything online about a bracket to mount it. I assume it has power during cranking and ignition. It ran, poorly, before I leaned the jets and rods, could it be too lean now?
your choke is manual? I forgot about that. close the choke with tape then lol. Whats the linkage opening for the choke look like, does it take a z bend choke cable?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The weights inside appear to be working fine, I turned the rotor several times and it jumped back to position everytime, I cleaned the rotor and cap other day(just scraped them a little) but I do have one question, are plug wires directional? Like this end goes to plug and this end to distributor? There’s no indication on the plug wires but I did notice one end is softer than the other

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Set the choke and hold it until it warms up. You need to give it a little gas and just let it idle until it warms up. Then set your initial timing. Then probably readjust your idle mixture screws. You will also need to set your regular idle and high idle screws once timing and idle mixture are adjusted

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The choke lever is just a shape like the timing changing cover, upside down egg with a small hole near bottom, I don’t know what it needs, but I want a manual choke. Trying to keep it simple.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Bextreme04 i did slightly turn in the idle screw to try and “high idle” to keep it running longer, I’ll have to watch a video on adjusting the high idle screw I believe it’s the smaller one on bottom where throttle meets the choke.
Edit: the idle mixture screws are turned in then backed out two turns each, just as a base to get it running since I’d changed the jets/rods/timing. So I knew they wouldn’t be right where they were so I set it back to two turns out when I had it off.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

This clamps the sleeve of a choke cable, you then can use any generic choke cable as long as its long enough, clamp the sleeve with the cable trim the sleeve back enough to permit the cable inside to extend out of it enough for travel to open/close , then trim the cable to the right length, put a z bend in it*make the cable a little long, you can adjust the length then by moving it in the sleeve back) then put it in the thing meant for it. if it doesnt use a z bend, but a set screw or something, you dont need to z bend. im not sure how a 1405 does it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nienberg2