Easy to install trans cooler and temp gauge recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The filter extension is included with a deep pan.

you can test the lockup pretty easy get the truck on a smooth flat road, hold the speed steady around 50mph. Don’t let off the gas, lightly tap the brakes. Tap the brakes just hard enough to turn on the brake lights, but not actually slow the car. If the converter works you will feel the engine speed up a couple hundred RPM, release the brake and the converter should lock again with a reduction of engine speed.

The filter extension more often than not is not included with the pan. When I was looking for a deep pan I found this out only 2 B&M and another brand I forget came with the extension. This was in the last 2 months.

Edited because I opened the amazon link and Read. The q and a .s

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It should be noted that not all deep pans need, or can accommodate, a filter extension. Most of them do, but some have molded risers that support the filter in the original position. It doesn’t really have anything to do with a concern of exposing the filter and sucking in air, that’s not really possible even with a deep pan unless you are in some crazy angles and positions for extended periods of time. It has more to do with the coldest fluid being at the bottom of the pan and wanting to get as much fluid circulation as possible. If the pan doesn’t have risers and is designed to accept a filter extension, you should use it for the benefits of colder fluid and better circulation, but it won’t hurt anything to not use it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The most effective cooler is a stacked plate design, and I prefer using the Long TruCool Low Pressure Drop (LPD). The larger models come with metal mounting brackets, which works better in a truck to hold up to the vibration. They used to make many of the OEM coolers, but I’m not sure if that still the case.

You can take a look at them on this site, and they are sold by several vendors. https://www.trucool.com/products/tru-cool-lpd

Bruce

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
B&M cooler! ;)

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My 69 C10's B&M light-duty aux cooler has been installed since 2002. I used high pressure trans cooler hose with fuel injection-type clamps. It's certainly not as robust as steel lines with flare fittings, but my point is it's not cheap hose that will easily crack. I probably need to replace it though!

The truck doesn't have a trans fluid temperature gauge, but the aux cooler gets too hot to touch, so it must be doing its job. Holley/B&M rate the cooler at 7500 BTU, and you may need more than that depending on how you use your truck. https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/transmission_coolers/supercooler_transmission_coolers/

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
True cool 40k

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@82sbshortbed,
What kind of pan is that? And where did you get it, how much was it? Did you weld the temp bung in it? I ask what kind of pan is it because of the kind of screws in it. They're allen head aren't they?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Powerhouse Ranch,

What difference is there between a "Ford" filter and a GM filter? A oil filter is a oil filter isn't it? I understand quality between filters but if the filter screws on like your GM filter does, what's different? Spin on filters are all the same aren't they? They spin on.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
@Powerhouse Ranch,

What difference is there between a "Ford" filter and a GM filter? A oil filter is a oil filter isn't it? I understand quality between filters but if the filter screws on like your GM filter does, what's different? Spin on filters are all the same aren't they? They spin on.

there was a ford motorcraft filter on it. don't ask how, but it was there. sickest joke i've ever seen. it was an abomination! it's just the principle.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
@82sbshortbed,
What kind of pan is that? And where did you get it, how much was it? Did you weld the temp bung in it? I ask what kind of pan is it because of the kind of screws in it. They're allen head aren't they?

Oh that was just a picture off Google for an example of where it put a temp sensor. Sorry about that. Lol

This is the one I have on mine. No temp sensor. Just deeper with a drain plug.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062ZQOW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
there was a ford motorcraft filter on it. don't ask how, but it was there. sickest joke i've ever seen. it was an abomination! it's just the principle.
Caution: Ford filter broke down on side of road.lol

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Powerhouse Ranch,

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Okay, I get it. I thought it was something special. Yeah, I would never commit such a travesty! That's like putting Autocraft plugs in your engine. The only time I ever, ever did that was when I had a blown plug or severly fouled plug when I was on the road out of town and stopped in some little mom and pop store and the only plugs they had were Ford plugs. Well, it was either dirty my engine until I could get some place where I could get a set of AC's or my new address would have been that roadside store.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@82sbshortbed,

Mine, TCI 2 qt. cast/ribbed. My tubular cross member is in the way. I think this pic is the only one I've got. I'll look on my other computer for a better one.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@82sbshortbed,

My pan did come with a filter extension. I'd like to call them and ask if it needs to be any longer. I know they've got it figured out and the one that came with the pan is all it needs. But Bextreme04 mentioned something about getting into the colder fluid. That made me starting to think that maybe I could call TCI and ask them about it and would it benefit it to have a slightly longer extension. I know they go to a lot of effort to figure these thing out, and the extension is as long as it needs to be. My thinking, like Bextreme04 indicated, not so long as to get into the debris on the bottom but just a tad longer to get more into the colder fluid. I like that idea. I think my extension was about 3/4" long, I think.

Ewhitaker0020, you see we're not talking directly to you but throwing around the info you need to know in continueing on with your project to make sure you have a successful outcome. It's for your benefit, this sharing of knowledge and info. I learn so much from these guys and if it applies I do what they suggest on my truck.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Ewhitaker0020,

I was looking through an old, 1997, "Chevy Truck" mag tonight and look what I found for your question about trans filter extensions for your trans pan. It's just a place to start looking for a good one. You could go with Moroso, TCI, these people, TD Performance Products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl38