Duramax work truck with square body cab.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJakey

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So I have an 04 Duramax LLY 4x4 dually flatbed with 150k on it. I have a new work truck & no long need this one. Being a squarebody fanatic, instead of selling it, I’m considering swapping a squarebody cab on it while leaning the flat bed intact, if possible. What’s everyone think?

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Go for it!

There's a member here that did the same swap but without the flatbed, but I simply cannot remember their user name. It's a beige/tan/cream colored truck if anyone else remembers.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Because of your flatbed, that eliminates any concern of trying to also fit a bed. I could see issues with things lining up. THe cab allows you to place it wherever the fenders need to be and adjustments can be made as necessary to work around it. Or, if its not too hard, move the front axle to allow your cab to sit where it needs to be. only thing I see is needing the front frame to end where the front of the front end is, where maybe you could weld to allow flexibility or allow you to take the front moutning off a square frame and graft onto that one. That would be dope to see. Allows much more modern HD applications. I could see steering column as a tough one tho

NJakey

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Because of your flatbed, that eliminates any concern of trying to also fit a bed. I could see issues with things lining up. THe cab allows you to place it wherever the fenders need to be and adjustments can be made as necessary to work around it. Or, if its not too hard, move the front axle to allow your cab to sit where it needs to be. only thing I see is needing the front frame to end where the front of the front end is, where maybe you could weld to allow flexibility or allow you to take the front moutning off a square frame and graft onto that one. That would be dope to see. Allows much more modern HD applications. I could see steering column as a tough one tho
That’s exactly what I was thinking with the flatbed. People always talk about how hard it is to line things up when doing a frame swap, but leaving the flatbed on could help simplify that. I’m sure there will be some road bumps, but where theres a will, there’s a way

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That’s exactly what I was thinking with the flatbed. People always talk about how hard it is to line things up when doing a frame swap, but leaving the flatbed on could help simplify that. I’m sure there will be some road bumps, but where theres a will, there’s a way
Do you plan on carbureted small block or big block? If you plan on sticking with its... diesel? Or maybe big gas? You might want to cosndier one of the units that take your OBD2 settings and sends them out on wires you can then wire from to the dash cluster. So you can hijack signals and stuff without chopping wires. I forget who I saw made em, but its meant more for taking engine swaps and makingthem easier but I suppose retrofitting woud be the same concept

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512