Duel Tank Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Alright, so on the '78, I have an auxiliary tank which I occasionally use. Not very often, but often enough to where this little thing bothers the hell out of me the more and more I see a difference. I feel like mine's not factory or something, but I want your guy's input on it. I don't have any pictures, but you may get an idea.

Anywho... On all the trucks that I have seen, the auxiliary tank switch actually is a little black piece that looks like the switch you would have in your home that looks something like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Notice the switch on the other side of the radio..

MY switch on the other hand is one of those little chrome/aluminium maybe? switches that you'd see all over a NASCAR dash and it's under my steering column. Also looks like there's no sign of there being a place where the black switch was where they are normally located... Any ideas, guys?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
in the pic that's a factory switch. your switch is a toggle, aftermarket. what tank do you have. factory uses the same tank on both sides they just reverse the mounting brackets so both tanks should look the same if they are factory. btw there is nothing wrong with the aftermarket stuff just as long as it is good quality. highdesertranger

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
in the pic that's a factory switch. your switch is a toggle, aftermarket. what tank do you have. factory uses the same tank on both sides they just reverse the mounting brackets so both tanks should look the same if they are factory. btw there is nothing wrong with the aftermarket stuff just as long as it is good quality. highdesertranger

The tanks look exactly the same. Same mounting, same skid plates, everything. BUT I have noticed that the passenger side rear fender, the gas cap is in a little concave opening and makes it look a lot more sleek. But the driver's side sticks out and is flat with the fender instead of recessed.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
where in NC are you at boondock?

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
where in NC are you at boondock?

Between Lumberton, NC & Fayetteville, NC. Robeson County. The swamps of NC. :p

You're quite a way away up there in Boone.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Between Lumberton, NC & Fayetteville, NC. Robeson County. The swamps of NC. :p

You're quite a way away up there in Boone.

Yep, snow is just a coming down today.. actually saying snow every day until Saturday, heard ya'll even going to get some this time.

offroad-cowboy

Reaction score
First Name
christian
Truck Year
73. 83
Truck Model
c30. k30 3+3
Engine Size
383. 454
Some one did the same thing with my dually they used a toggle switch to acuate it
It sounds like some one did a dual tank conversion or at least a bed change

Im in charlotte if either one of yall need help im pretty familiar with the 73-91 chevys

sent by telegraph from my k30

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
yeah it sounds like someone aftermarket'd it. it works, which is more than most can say that have dual tanks. I just redid my whole setup last May.

78's were factory passenger tank and auxiliary driver tank. At some point around I think '81, driver became factory and passenger was auxiliary. Might explain why driver looks kind of funky but still post some pictures.

Last edited:

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
Yep, snow is just a coming down today.. actually saying snow every day until Saturday, heard ya'll even going to get some this time.

Yeah we got about 5 inches two weeks ago, but they talk like we're suppose to get some tomorrow and Wednesday. Nothing I can do about it, just watch. haha

But yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense about the tanks. Whoever did the conversion did a damn fine job on it. Maybe it was dealer installed or something? Aside from the driver side cap sticking out and looking all stupid, the tanks are mounted perfectly. And thankfully they do both work. I'll try to get some pictures soon. I didn't even leave the house today account of being sick with some sort of bug going around, so I didn't get to get any pictures. Rest assure I'll definitely try to get them though!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Cole Hersee - Dpdt Rocker Switch
Part # 58027-11
Line: CH

$11.99 @ O'Reilly's

•UPC: 632850354097
•25amp Dual Momentary
Detailed Description

•Momentary On - Off - Momentary On
•25A at 12V DC
•Weather-resistant, with gasket seal in the housing.
•Plastic housing, bezel and actuator.
•Silver contacts protect from arcing.
•Snap-in mounting to hole .838" (21.08mm) x 1.45" (36.83mm).
•Fits panels .093" through .187" thick.
•Six brass blade terminals:
•No.1 to Load.
•No.2 to Battery positive
•No.3 to Load.
•No.4 to Load.
•No.5 to Battery positive
•No.6 to Load.
•Also available in the same style with one or two pilot lights, dependent or independent.

Additional Details
•Switch Positions: Dual Momentary

Attachments

• dpdt moment.jpg
    dpdt moment.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 169

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Momentary switches won't work for a dual tank system... The auxiliary side of the tank selection solenoid needs a constant voltage against it to keep it switched. Otherwise, it'll flip right back to the primary side.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Momentary switches won't work for a dual tank system... The auxiliary side of the tank selection solenoid needs a constant voltage against it to keep it switched. Otherwise, it'll flip right back to the primary side.

Only 87' and up (TBI) require constant voltage. The rest are all momentary, to the best of my knowledge. I learned that the hard way when I bought the wrong (momentary) switch for my 87' eons ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04