Drilled and slotted brake rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dickeymoore

Reaction score
First Name
Clarence
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Anyone know where I can get a pair of drilled and slotted brake rotors for a 84 C10 pickup truck 2 wheel drive with bearings?THANKS

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I’ve seen them on Summit Racing so I imagine Jegs also has them. RockAuto lists them but doesn’t show pictures. Even the cheapie rotors have the races already pressed into them so I think you’ll be fine. Then you can replace the bearings and repack.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
WHY? unless holes are cast and not drilled, they should be OK. For looks no problem. In heavy duty usage the drilled ones have tendencies to crack.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Drilled and slotted rotor dissapeat heat faster and they have worked well on my toyota tacome 4x4...rolling on 35" bfg m/t tires. I have had them for five years. The only drawback is that they cannot be turned if they become warped. In most cases they can be found cheaper than oen rotors. I sourced my last pair on ebay for both my toyota AND my 84 square 2wd.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I’ve seen them on Summit Racing so I imagine Jegs also has them. RockAuto lists them but doesn’t show pictures. Even the cheapie rotors have the races already pressed into them so I think you’ll be fine. Then you can replace the bearings and repack.

I will see where I picked up the front pair for my 84 square 2wd. You will have to find out if your rotors are the heavy duty or regular duty version as there is a difference in the size (diameter) of the bearings. I didn't realize when I order my set until I went to install them. The company that I bought from on ebay was great and when I called their tech support line, they swapped out the rotors and I was good to go the next day. The setup was two cross drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, bearings, races installed in the rotors (thats the critical part unless you have a press.)

I will go through my records to find the company. They were great to work with, even with the wrong rotors ordered.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
Engine Size
The larger the mass of the rotor the more heat it dissipates. Holes though small reduce mass. I've used holes and plain on my race Corvettes and found no difference. Most of my road race buddies claim it's just a trick to sell rotors.

Your mileage may vary.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Holes dissapate heat. Try taking temp reading with an infrared thermometer next time. My cross drilled rotor ran cooler on average than my solid rotors. My solid rotors also warped faster than the slotted/cross drilled.

This can be argued about as much as the muffler/hp debate. Btw the holes aren't just for looks, and if your "road race" buddies think its just a way to sell a product, well they should probably just park their cars and try a different hobby. :buttkick:

The holes are designed to dissapate heat, gas as well as water from the surface of the rotor. On road and off, it has been proven to work as they also reduce brake fade.

My rotor set was r1 concepts.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Heat dissipation is dependent upon material and surface area. Assuming same material, the more surface area, the higher the rate of heat dissipation.

Higher mass volume allows for a higher total heat absorbed into the part.

Whether they are stronger or weaker than solid rotors, I cannot say. Probably depends greatly on how they're manufactured as in whether the holes are originally cast in the part or whether they are just drilled out of a standard solid rotor.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Heat dissipation is dependent upon material and surface area. Assuming same material, the more surface area, the higher the rate of heat dissipation.

Whether they are stronger or weaker than solid rotors, I cannot say. Probably depends greatly on how they're manufactured as in whether the holes are originally cast in the part or whether they are just drilled out of a standard solid rotor.

And the "road race" guys probably didnt do their research and bought solid rotors that were drilled out. For even better heat dissapation, they should use carbon rotors.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The drilled rotors are not so great in the rust belt. Those sexy holes get completely rusted shut.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
Engine Size
Like I said, your mileage may vary.