DOUHHH!!!! dent in fender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i had one of my junk doors fall over today and put a quarter size dent in my GOOOD fender. The dent is on the body line. it pushed it down a bit, and i am wondering how i would go at poping that out. again its on the crease of the body line

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Needle gun and slide hammer. If you have body work ahead of you, you will be ahead owning the seat anyways.

The gun welds studs to bare metal, you put the slide hammer on it and slide hammer it out until its decently close. Cut the stud off with a cut off wheel and apply bondo.

Body lines are the worse, if its not perfect it will show like a sore thumb.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ahh that sux. Being on the body line makes it a bit tough to fix. Not bad, but still not as easy if it were a smooth part. I'd sure give Iman's suggestion a try. Just don't pull to much. Easier to use body filler on a low spot than pound it back in.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yes, if you slam to hard on the slide hammer it will cause that dreaded outward dent. They are easy to spot since when you sand on it all you will see is bare metal where the stud was.

The studs and slide hammer technique is good for getting it close, you want like 1/8th inch of bondo in the low spot. Anything much more than that will most likely crack within a couple years of completing your paint job.

Anyone who has ever used the slide hammer has one thing on their minds they want to add so I thought I would add. Eventually you will nail yourself in the balls with the slide hammer, the studs can rip out of the panel and propel the hammer blow force in the direction you are sliding the weight. For some reason its always seems to be a straight shot to the balls, and then you learn to keep it pointed away from you.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Yes, if you slam to hard on the slide hammer it will cause that dreaded outward dent. They are easy to spot since when you sand on it all you will see is bare metal where the stud was.

The studs and slide hammer technique is good for getting it close, you want like 1/8th inch of bondo in the low spot. Anything much more than that will most likely crack within a couple years of completing your paint job.

Anyone who has ever used the slide hammer has one thing on their minds they want to add so I thought I would add. Eventually you will nail yourself in the balls with the slide hammer, the studs can rip out of the panel and propel the hammer blow force in the direction you are sliding the weight. For some reason its always seems to be a straight shot to the balls, and then you learn to keep it pointed away from you.

Note to self.....never hammer toward your balls.......GOT IT! :Nonono:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:lol:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Needle gun and slide hammer. If you have body work ahead of you, you will be ahead owning the seat anyways.

The gun welds studs to bare metal, you put the slide hammer on it and slide hammer it out until its decently close. Cut the stud off with a cut off wheel and apply bondo.

Body lines are the worse, if its not perfect it will show like a sore thumb.

You must be registered for see images attach

:crazy:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model