Door Plastics and door glass questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
for sitting 12 years the suburban is in pretty good shape, but the drivers door panel has crumbled at the lip next to the glass. the rest of the panel is solid but that's prime arm resting real estate so my question being, how do you fix such a hole? Epoxy some hardboard inside and bondo a new 'shelf' and texture and rattlecan to match best you can? fiberglass? eat the cost of new one?

secondly sometime in its life the passenger rear door glass got smashed up and held together with duct tape. is the glass on the rear doors the same as the front doors for when I go hunting on Ebay?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The door panel is probably beyond repair, once they get that brittle they will keep breaking.

The rear glass is different, glass from the rear doors of a crew cab should be the same though. It seems like they changed the thickness of the glass in the early 80's, but I am not sure what year it changed.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
good to know and thanks. mines an 82 so was going to hunt for at least pretty similar year.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
buddy of mine had a crewcab glass and after some choice mechanics words it was convinced into location.
sorry for taking to long to get back to ya'll on that.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
buddy of mine had a crewcab glass and after some choice mechanics words it was convinced into location.
sorry for taking to long to get back to ya'll on that.
For your door panel, depending on the color, 81-91 will be the same style.
Of course 88-91 will need to be a blazer, sub, or crew.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
okay. not had any hits on affordable door plastics that the sun hasn't eaten. so current train of thought is to try to reinforce with fiberglass and steel mesh to rebuild to a point where it can hold an arm for a while.
panels are Tan, but i'm flexible on that as being rather liberal with the application of tan bed liner on things, trying to keep it light colored for reflective purposes.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
okay. not had any hits on affordable door plastics that the sun hasn't eaten. so current train of thought is to try to reinforce with fiberglass and steel mesh to rebuild to a point where it can hold an arm for a while.
panels are Tan, but i'm flexible on that as being rather liberal with the application of tan bed liner on things, trying to keep it light colored for reflective purposes.

Somewhere on this site, a fellow rebuilt his door panels using plywood and fiberglass.
Looked pretty darn sharp!

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
Somewhere on this site, a fellow rebuilt his door panels using plywood and fiberglass.
Looked pretty darn sharp!

Ya if you can find the post from the guy that rebuilt his own panels, it turned out really nice. I just bought new ones, but if I was less lazy I would have done what he did.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Suburban panels are a plenty around my part of the world.
Most of the trucks have the 4 switch panels on them because that’s all they could find!
I gave a set away awhile back. They were grey tho. If I run across another set I’ll reach out to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey