Door Latch Linkage Clip Release Hack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have found an interesting hack to disengage the retaining clip for the outside door handle linkage.
Take a bicycle spoke and bend the end with the head into a J-shape (well, actually a U shape with 1 short leg). The head diameter of the spoke is just the right size to fit into the hole where the clip tab resides.
Bend the threaded end so you can get a grip on it.
Fish the U-bent end around behind the latch and move around til the head of the spoke enters the tab hole and pull... The top of the clip will jump out away from the latch and allow you to push the top edge downward to release....
The only real trick is figuring out how to hold the flashlight......

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have found an interesting hack to disengage the retaining clip for the outside door handle linkage.
Take a bicycle spoke and bend the end with the head into a J-shape (well, actually a U shape with 1 short leg). The head diameter of the spoke is just the right size to fit into the hole where the clip tab resides.
Bend the threaded end so you can get a grip on it.
Fish the U-bent end around behind the latch and move around til the head of the spoke enters the tab hole and pull... The top of the clip will jump out away from the latch and allow you to push the top edge downward to release....
i dont have spokes

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

My son would tell you, "get a headlight". That's what he has hit me with when I ask him. I did get one and he gifted me one too.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Amazon sells bike spokes

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
My son would tell you, "get a headlight". That's what he has hit me with when I ask him. I did get one and he gifted me one too.
Kids these days...

Either I was too dumb to think of that when I was a kid, or it's a sign of the times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb