Vent Glass Seals - DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I recently replaced all of my vent window seals and window run channel, and figured I would do a DIY on how to do it. Unfortunately, I was in a bit of a hurry so I don’t have pictures of the glass channel install, but I will try to describe the procedure, as it is pretty simple. What I do have well documented is the vent window seal removal and installation.

Parts List (from Classic Parts):

(1981-85) Vent Window Weatherstrip - Item 03-809A (this does both doors)
(1981-91) Door Glass Channel - Left - Item 03-323
(1981-91) Door Glass Channel - Right - Item 03-324
(1981-91) Beaded Window Seals - Item 03-576 (this does both doors)
(1951-87) Vent Assembly Rivets - Item 03-825
(1951-87) Vent Rivet Setting Tool - Item 03-835

The first thing you need to do is remove the door panel. Start by removing the screws holding the door handle bezel and removing the bezel. You can simply pull the handle towards you and slide the bezel over it and out of the door.

You must be registered for see images attach

Next, remove the 9 screws holding the door panel to the door. Two of these are under the chrome caps of the pull strap if you have pull strap equipped door panels. There are also two screws in the arm rest that attach the panel to the door. The door panel is held on by a few clips, which you should be able to pop out without any tools. If you are picky, you can use a panel removal tool to do so. Before you can remove the panel, you will need to remove your door lock knob. Simply unscrew it and set it aside. Roll the window all the way down at this point.
If you have power doors, be careful removing the door panel, as you will need to disconnect the wiring from the switches. Those with manual doors will, of course, need to remove the window crank before removing the panel.

With the door panel removed, you can now move on to removing the vent window screws. 73-85’s have three screws on the top of the door to remove, 86 and 87’s will have only two screws. You will also need to remove a bolt holding the bottom of the vent window frame to the door. I find it much easier to remove the lower screw with a ratchet and a ¼” socket with a Philips bit in it. This gives you a lot more room (and leverage) than a screw driver. You can close the door most of the way and get a screw driver in from the front, but it’s tough and I prefer to work smarter, not harder.

At this point, I began removing my old window run channel/seals. 81-85’s have the glass run channel as a one piece unit which is attached to the vent window. Chances are, this will fall apart if you try to remove it. I would definitely order them along with the vent window seals. There is a small clip at the back of the door that holds the seal up. It will probably break off, but you need to remove it to install the new seal later.

Now it’s time to remove the vent window. Pull the top of the frame backward (leverage it on the window glass edge, but be CAREFUL. As you pull the vent assembly up and towards the inside of the door, you will need to rotate it to fit the bracket through the door opening. This will take some finagling and some cussing.

With the vent assembly out of the truck, you need to remove the vent glass from the assembly. Start by unfolding these tabs at the bottom of the spring/nut. Go ahead and remove the nut. The spring isn’t under much tension, so don’t worry about it flying out.

Keep track of the washers. There are four total. The very top most washer is a half circle shape. Pay attention to how this is oriented, as it serves as the window opening stop.

Next you need to drill out the rivet holding the vent glass frame. Start with a small bit, and move up to a larger one until you can drive it out with a punch. This is what you should end up with:

You are now going to remove the rearmost seal. Look at the channel where the glass run channel was sitting. There are a bunch of little metal tabs. You need to bend those up, and then you can remove the seal.

With that out of the way, you can remove the main vent window seal. Just start pulling it out until you reach the top of the frame.

Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
To completely remove the seal, we need to remove the rivet at the top of the frame. Be careful not to bend the frame with this rivet removed.

Here is the seal completely removed.

Ok, now it’s time to break out the Vaseline and the new seal. I found it easier to start at the bottom of the frame in the corner. Starting the seal will probably be an exercise in frustration for some of you. It’s a bit of a challenge. Coat the inside of the seal with a generous of helping of Vaseline (don’t be greedy with it). I find it helpful to only put Vaseline on a little bit at time, to keep the mess down. Set one edge of the seal into the channel, and use a dull tool or screwdriver to CAREFULLY push the rest of the seal into the channel. Be very careful not to damage the seal.

With the seal started, simply work it the rest of the way around. There are a few indicators to show that you have the seal in the right spot. One is the indentations in the seal lining up with the rivets on the frame. Another is the hole for the vent glass to go through.

Here, you can see how I am gently using a dull screwdriver to try and push the seal into the channel.

Once you get the seal fully installed, gently push the frame back together, taking care not to damage the seal.

You now need to rivet the frame back together. This part was somewhat challenging, as I need to find a way to hold the rivet in place while holding the frame tightly together. It was a bit tough, and I don’t recall exactly what I did, so you are kind of on your own here. Be creative, but MAKE SURE the frame is back together tightly.
With the frame riveted back together, now you can install the back seal. Carefully work it into the main seal on both ends, like so, and bend over the clips on the backside to hold it down:

Now you can reinstall the vent glass into the frame. If you want to replace your vent glass handles, scroll down to the bottom of this DIY. I describe the procedure there. Slip the vent glass through the seal, making sure you put your washers back in place along with the stop washer. Rivet the glass back to the frame. Now you can install the tension spring, lock washer, and bolt. Tighten the bolt to set the tension on the window. This affects how easy the window is to open. I thought the factory was rather tight, so I loosened it a bit. Don’t go too loose, as you don’t want the wind to blow them shut on you.
Here is what your final product should look like:

Now you will need to install glass run channel into the back of the vent glass frame. I found this easier to do prior to installing the vent assembly into the door. Once you get the vent assembly installed in the door, simply push the glass run channel into the door (make sure you get the clip installed fully at the back top of the door). You can slide the back edge of the run channel into the metal channel in the back of the door. It’s a little tough, but work it down slowly and you will get it all the way in.

If you bought the glass scrapers (beaded window seals), they are simple to install. There are two, one installs into the door itself on outside edge of the glass, and the other installs into the door panel. Installation is simply a matter of removing the old one (they just use metal clips) and installing the new the same way. Make sure on the door panel side that the seal sits flush on the door panel. Mine got folded over, and was tough to get out again without nicking the seal and making it look ugly-ish.
Now it’s simply a matter of reinstalling your door panel and related components. Congratulations! Now go enjoy your peace and quiet!

Vent Glass Handle Removal:
This is pretty easy, and I will walk through it really quick. The first thing to do is drive out the roll pin holding the thing together. This will allow you to remove the handle. If you have locking handles, also remove the spring and button. That will leave you with a Torx head screw. Remove that as well. Make sure you keep track of the order. Installation is the reverse of removal. Quite simple, really.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Excellent job dude, thanks for taking the time to do this. :High 5:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Excellent job dude, thanks for taking the time to do this. :High 5:

Glad to be able to contribute. If you see anything that could use clarifications or more details, let me know!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah, the arm rest has screws that got to come out don't it?

Also what are you using to host those photos?

There sure is a lot more involved than I thought in replacing these, this will help greatly anybody going to tackle this job. :)

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Yah, the arm rest has screws that got to come out don't it?

Also what are you using to host those photos?

There sure is a lot more involved than I thought in replacing these, this will help greatly anybody going to tackle this job. :)

Shoot, you are right. Mine were missing on my panel, so I completely forgot! I'll update that.

As far as hosting goes, my brother has a webhosting company, so I have the hookup on my own domain and host all my photos there.

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I should start working on these while the replacement doors are off the truck...

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I should start working on these while the replacement doors are off the truck...

What ever you do don't get the seals from lmc.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

raylanr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franc
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm planning on getting them from the same source Foamy got his

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the detailed instructions, Foamy.

A couple of plastic tools that are real handy for working glass and glass seals.
Get these from the automotive glass companies, local body shop might be able to get them too.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Thanks for the detailed instructions, Foamy.

A couple of plastic tools that are real handy for working glass and glass seals.
Get these from the automotive glass companies, local body shop might be able to get them too.

Look at all that scribble scrabble lol. :crazy:

Posted From Hell

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Looks really good. When I was replacing my vent windows it Took me stripping out a rusty phillips screw on mine and then having to drill the whole screw head out before I started working a little smarter on that one screw, lol :crazy:

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
You didn't really mention it in the write up but for those who haven't replaced vent windows before, getting them back in is a bit of a trick. This video from 1AAuto is fantastic to be able to actually see someone maneuver the vent windows assembly first makes it alot easier on you, and you're less likely to scratch the piss out of your door.
Skip to 3:00 in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMKPuS1NJQ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8