Door Hinge Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
The '82-'96 GM A-body platform also had door hinges with one bolt from the inside. I don't know the reason for such a design, but you should read the hinge replacement procedure in the A-body factory service manual, lol. For the front door, upper hinges, you must remove the dash to properly (imho) change them. But the service manual says to use a hole saw and then let the bolt fall down inside the pillar... then pump in a bunch of caulking to keep the bolt from rattling :rofl:
That's ridiculous! Even on a truck in rough shape like mine, I would never do something that silly.

Before I work up the courage (and time) to tackle this door hinge project, I'm wondering if I can get at that interior hinge bolt by just removing the bezel and the left most AC vent? Does the gauge cluster have to come out as well? Or do I need to pull even more than that out to get at it?

The truck I got the replacement door off of was already pretty dismembered.

94_6SpeedZ

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That's ridiculous! Even on a truck in rough shape like mine, I would never do something that silly.

Before I work up the courage (and time) to tackle this door hinge project, I'm wondering if I can get at that interior hinge bolt by just removing the bezel and the left most AC vent? Does the gauge cluster have to come out as well? Or do I need to pull even more than that out to get at it?

The truck I got the replacement door off of was already pretty dismembered.
I have been putting a 1976 C10 back together (I did not take it apart) and I was able to loosen that drivers side hinge bolt from the left most AC vent. I did not have any wiring or air ducting in the car. I was able to use a 9/16"? deep well socket and a short extension with an adapter to a 1/2" drive ratchet to snake through the vent hole to loosen and tighten that bolt when i adjusted the door. You will have to remove the bezel and the small air duct section with the vent. The gauge cluster did not need to be removed for me.

Last edited:

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I was able to loosen that drivers side hinge bolt from the left most AC vent. I did not have any wiring or air ducting in the car. I was able to use a 9/16"? deep well socket and a short extension with an adapter to a 1/2" drive ratchet to snake through the vent hole to loosen and tighten that bolt when i adjusted the door. You will have to remove the bezel and the small air duct section with the vent. The gauge cluster did not need to be removed for me.
Thank you for the insight! That makes me feel a little better about the hinge replacement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes