Door Alignment Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have been working on a 1984 Chevrolet K20. I have replaced all the seal in the doors and windows- including the vent windows. I have been having a little alignment problem when installing the vent window on the passenger side thus causing the actual window to have some alignment issues also. I think I about have those repaired. Another thing I noticed was that the door does not sit like the drivers side door as shown in the pics. How does one adjust the door to sit like the other one. Everything else seems like to line up pretty good on the doors. Sorry for the pics sideways. Not sure how to rotate them.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 148

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Open door lift up on it from the end,to check bushings these are often the culprits if theres any up and down movement.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There is about 1/2" movement on the outer edge of the door. Where can these bushings be purchased? I saw in the LMC catalog where you have to purchase the entire hinge. Does the door need to have some shims under it?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Hinges have replacable pins and bushings. That will fix the extra play. Local parts stotes usually cary them. Some prefer to replace the complete hinge instead, especially if originals are bent out of shape.

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is what I am wondering- If they are bent. I do not see how 1/2" play is going to line up the door as shown in the 2nd picture and the gap there.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I would do the pins on your oem hinges. If you take time to mark their location for reassembly it could save you some time adjusting them later.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
In the past I have replaced/aligned doors with fenders removed. Is is possible to remove hinges with fenders on? Is is easy to replace pins/bushings with fenders on?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
hard to tell how far off door is maybe snap a pic from a few more feet away. and turn camera sideways lol

cah2873

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I took the door off, installed new pins and bushings, re-aligned the door, installed a new striker, and it is not perfect- but a lot better than it was!

Old barn auto

Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
All the advice everyone gave is very good. Another Avenue to take would be to look at gaps side to side if you have a problem with the apillar needing to come forward to lesson the gap as long as all the other gaps around the bottom,back,and top are close to being right. You may need someone to help you with this just to hold it still,then just loosen the side bolted to the cab you probably know about the top beside the inner glove box. If you got a helper have them push it forward or pry it, if using a pry bar try wrapping it with an old cotton shirt to keep from marring the paint when you get the gap right snug and check all sides including the very front of rocker panel. Always remember this about these trucks, they were not always perfect from the factory something almost every time was always off a little but you will get it just keep at it cause the more you get right now the better it will be when finished these are only suggestions so definitely good luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS