Dome light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray1988r20

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Okay, so my dome light wasn't working, nor was my cargo light. Traced down the wires, one was broken under the floor carpet. Now, my dome light won't go off. It gets dim when you shut the door, and when the switch isn't on. Ground problems? Can't seem to chase it down. 1988 R20. Any help or suggestions would be GREAT!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
The white wire is the ground wire and the orange is constantly hot positive. Both the light switch and the door jamb contacts complete the ground side of the circuit to turn the dome lamp on or off. You may have a short or partial short to ground in the white wire.

Ray1988r20

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
I have checked that, it seems like it's good, couldn't see anywhere it was shooting out. I'll look at it again, and I'm gonna try to move my ground strap for the cab, thinking maybe over the years it has lost good contact maybe.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Once upon a time I had an issue where a poor trailer wiring ground caused a back feed through the dome lamp. I would have to look at a wiring diagram to find the path it took.

Ray1988r20

Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
Well, now that you mention that, I did have to remove a damn rats nest of wires, wire nuts, and black tape **** from the rear. Looked like a damn spaghetti factory under there. This was a rescue to say the least. Maybe I missed something under there..... I'll have to revisit that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68