Dome lamp ground short circuit questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
also it may be the smallest amount of ground coming through put a regular bulb in and see if it comes on when its not supposed to! these trucks wernt built for leds mine does it to kind of a nice glow! id agree with headlight switch! but will keep the original till she quits

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Bulbs are correct. And it’s not an issue with the + wire. Have 100% of battery voltage at all times whether issue is present or not. It’s an issue with the ground.
I’m sure you’re aware but there is constant power to the lights and a normally open ground circuit that gets closed by any of 3 different switches. Door jambs or headlight switch.

Maybe I don’t understand what I would test for parasitic loss?
thank you for the suggestions and help
With vehicle in the condition, unplug 1 source at a time. If lights go out, there is the branch with the fault

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm betting it's your headlight switch. That provides the third ground option (doors are one and two) . Make sure you have a good ground from the ground buss under the dash to the light switch. It's the extreme position on the rheostat that grounds to turn the dome light on. If that's an old switch, it's bound to be worn out internally.
Headlight switch is brand spankin new. Condition was the same with the old original Headlight switch as well, but the rheostat for the dimmer was getting a little wonky so I threw a new switch at it to positively eliminate that.

I’m fairly certain that the headlight switch does not have a ground wire but rather the metal face of the switch grounds to the dash frame. But regardless I get a good ground through both the new and old headlight switches. And neither switch was shorting out from the dome light tab to the metal switch frame. Checked that but one can see it visually 100% as well.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
also it may be the smallest amount of ground coming through put a regular bulb in and see if it comes on when its not supposed to! these trucks wernt built for leds mine does it to kind of a nice glow! id agree with headlight switch! but will keep the original till she quits

Its had an incandescent bulb in it until this weekend. Same condition. Courtesy lamp is incandescent as well and it glows half bright when there is a short. Only pu the LED in so it wouldn’t get hot during “testing.”
Again, it works perfectly, no live short to ground for hours or days, sitting or driving, and then catches a little ground and glows Half power for hours or days. And it will change condition when the truck is parked.
I can literally check it one day, shorted out, don’t touch the truck, next day it will be fine, truck sits, 2 days later it might be shorting out again.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
With vehicle in the condition, unplug 1 source at a time. If lights go out, there is the branch with the fault

I get what you’re saying.
I’ve had both door switches pulled out (unable to ground) headlight switch un plugged and courtesy lamp and dome lamp unscrewed from their mounts and hanging free AND wiggles as much of the wires as I could reasonably reach and the light would still be burning half bright.

Haven’t unplugged the dome lamp Wiring from the housing.
Next step. Maybe there’s enough stray continuity on the ground side in to the little plastic chrome frame?
At a loss there too because wiggling flexing it doesn’t change whether it shorts out or not.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Only place left to un plug is where the 3 ground leads connect to the 2 ground wires to the 2 lights.
That’s where I’m headed next. Have to find that, under dash somewhere it appears.

Presuming all wires come together at the same spot up under there....Cursed, i mean blessed with AC, so duct work kinda in the way from seeing everything easy

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
BTW, I don’t mean to sound obstinate to your all’s suggestions.
I’ve just exhausted about 95% of the potential causes before even posting.
Keep up the suggestions.
Thank you!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is gonna sound weird but stick with me. This happened to me. The tail light and brake lite ground circuit is really wonky if you don't understand it. I've studied my wiring diagram until my eyes glazed over and I still don't understand it.

Anyway to the point. Check every bulb on the truck. Ensure you can actually remove the bulb. I had a reverse light bulb where the glass actually turned inside the brass "cup or base" and the filament was shorted to ground. You couldn't tell by looking at it and the odd thing was the bulb out up but the brake lights were acting weird.

It's worth checking.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
@Grit dog Todd, do you or someone else, know if the '86 models have a key left in the ignition buzzer? If it does then the driver's door switch will also work that circuit. That would also mean there is a relay in the circuit.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Very hard to resolve when you can't get your hands on something, we as followers can only clutch at straws and guess. I'm not trying to add to any frustration, you certainly sound knowledgeable. Have you recently fitted/ had apart/pulled out/ refitted/ drilled/ tek screwed something recently. It may be something totally incidental under the dash panel perhaps. I know the wires run along the lower edge of the metal dash panel, under the glove compartment. Could the wire insulation have been damaged or pinched there. Check where the wires are clipped to the panel, those clips have some sharp edges and a wire may have been pulled tight against it. Just trying to think outside the box a bit. Really hope you resolve it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is gonna sound weird but stick with me. This happened to me. The tail light and brake lite ground circuit is really wonky if you don't understand it. I've studied my wiring diagram until my eyes glazed over and I still don't understand it.

Anyway to the point. Check every bulb on the truck. Ensure you can actually remove the bulb. I had a reverse light bulb where the glass actually turned inside the brass "cup or base" and the filament was shorted to ground. You couldn't tell by looking at it and the odd thing was the bulb out up but the brake lights were acting weird.

It's worth checking.
So yer saying, a hosed up bulb or electrical connection somewhere else could be sending stray voltage through the entire truck and only lighting up the dome and courtesy lights specifically?
I'm tracking, sort of, and not too many lights left to check that out. Tail/brake/reverse lights all work good and recently cleaned up from the PO using axle grease as dielectric...no comment
I can check the posers and front turn signals easy enough. Both of which work fine and this "short" happens even when no power to any of the other lights and other lights on or off don't affect it's condition. I tried that, turn everything on/off to see if something else random is going on and nothing found.
Cargo light works fine and is clean too. In fact, save for this stupid dome light thing, literally every electrical device and gauge on the truck works flawlessly. Save for a couple burnt out dash cluster bulbs. They not very bright but they do dim with the headlight switch like they should. BTW, no blown fuses either although I did touch hot to ground popping out the old dome bulb once when it was shorting and it blew the fuse under the dash just like it should...and now its fine w new fuse.

BUT should the cargo light ONLY work from the switch up on the B pillar or should it work only IF the dome light is on (ground circuit completed by any of the 3 switches)? I'm going to pop up a wiring diagram I found, still haven't pulled out the old haynes or chilton books I got somewhere.

Looking at that diagram, cargo lamp ground is tied to the ground wire from the dome/courtesy/switches. And the + wire runs through the b pillar switch.
IE cargo only works if dome light on AND cargo + switch on.
Currently (no pun intended) the cargo light works with the cargo switch but don't turn off (sometimes? maybe) when the door shuts/dome light off.
The problem might be in the cargo lamp. It has a metal housing and the gasket is pretty, very, crusty between it and the cab.

I may have fingered it out?

If one of you guys figures this fcking puzzle out though, I'll send you a square body memorabilia! I have a spare hood ornament.. actually 2, now that it's a GMC and not a Chebby....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Grit dog Todd, do you or someone else, know if the '86 models have a key left in the ignition buzzer? If it does then the driver's door switch will also work that circuit. That would also mean there is a relay in the circuit.

86 does. It is triggered by the brown? wire on the drivers side door jamb switch. Passenger side door switch has only 1 white wire. Figured that out this weekend too after fishing for the missing wire inside the passenger door jamb frame for 1/2 hour before looking it up!
Don't think theres a relay on that, and the key buzzer works flawlessly (and doesn't buzz or short out with the dome light). Dang good guess though and I haven't actually traced that wire. It's a possibility but I'd think it would make the buzzer act up at the same time?

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Very hard to resolve when you can't get your hands on something, we as followers can only clutch at straws and guess. I'm not trying to add to any frustration, you certainly sound knowledgeable. Have you recently fitted/ had apart/pulled out/ refitted/ drilled/ tek screwed something recently. It may be something totally incidental under the dash panel perhaps. I know the wires run along the lower edge of the metal dash panel, under the glove compartment. Could the wire insulation have been damaged or pinched there. Check where the wires are clipped to the panel, those clips have some sharp edges and a wire may have been pulled tight against it. Just trying to think outside the box a bit. Really hope you resolve it.

I'm with ya. Nope haven't sunk any screws into the cab/dash anywhere. Actually nowhere on the truck. Have reused a couple existing screws/bolts to mount up fuel pump on frame rail and relay on firewall but have yet to take a drill to anything.

Aside from my cargo lamp idea, I think you could be onto something hence my wonderin where all 5 white wires hook together. I can trace the passenger side one under the dash most of the way and it's loose and just kinda tucked in there.
I think it's narrowed to under dash or cargo lamp.

Hope this is providing some entertainment at least for yall...

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
btw I got 5 bucks on cargo lamp vs under dash!
Call it a hunch

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wiring diagram

You must be registered for see images attach