Does rollerizing a 454 really make a difference.? Not for racing, just a street brute.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I could have swore they were rotated 180°. Guess not. Anywho, this is a markIV block, with retainer plate provisions.

You must be registered for see images attach

I've heard that it is not on all of the Mark IV blocks? I guess some Gen V blocks also have a fuel pump boss. You are right about the Gen V and Gen VI having the same priority oiling. Does the Gen V also have the oil cooler plugs near the filter boss? Supposedly the Gen VI does have taller lifter bosses to support both factory or aftermarket roller lifters. Also I think there are differences in the cooling passages that make it a little trickier to find heads that are compatible with the Gen V block, but I don't know.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've heard that it is not on all of the Mark IV blocks? I guess some Gen V blocks also have a fuel pump boss. You are right about the Gen V and Gen VI having the same priority oiling. Does the Gen V also have the oil cooler plugs near the filter boss? Supposedly the Gen VI does have taller lifter bosses to support both factory or aftermarket roller lifters. Also I think there are differences in the cooling passages that make it a little trickier to find heads that are compatible with the Gen V block, but I don't know.

Yes, the GenV has the oil cooler ports in the pan rail like a GenVI. And yes, the coolant passages on a GenV are a bit different. Supposedly there's a gasket that lets you run the older heads, but I've read it's not 100% reliable. Aftermarket big block heads work with the GenV block and so do GenVI heads.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Make sure that you have the right cam for the build. A cam for a higher compression motor will fall flat without enough compression.

BigDaddy72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Chassis Cab
Engine Size
I have 2 cams in two different 496’s that Mike from Jones cam design custom cut for me. Very happy with. Either grinder I’m sure would do you justice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMblood