Does my truck have a computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LYTEMUP

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
305 c.i.
This is probably a question that the majority of you will laugh at.
I keep hearing people talking about some 1986 C10s having a computer. I know there is the ESC in alot of these trucks, but I didn't think the ECM came out until 1987.
How can I tell if mine has a computer?
I know mine was bought new in West Virginia so there is no CA emissions.

I am wanting to bypass my distributor garbage and think I have figured out how. I just want to know if my truck has a computer before I go back old school.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
There was an odd computerized quadrajet, but I've never actually seen one so I couldn't say for certain how to identify it. But I do know that a normal quadrajet carb should only have wires connected to the choke and the ac idle solenoid.

LYTEMUP

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
305 c.i.
I took my Q-jet off and installed a 1406 Edelbrock. The only electronics that I messed with is for the choke. There were two wires.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
Then no computer, ditch the troublesome esc distributer and put in a simple hei.

LYTEMUP

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
305 c.i.
That is the route we are headed. I started another post in this same forum about what the problem is and what we have done so far. I updated it this afternoon. I am back to the drawing board again...

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
Yeah been watching that one too but realy didn't have much to add, but if you suspect fuel pump, disconnect the line and hold it in a container then crank the motor. If it works try a new filter, check the float level, could be flooding. When you pull a spark plug is it wet with fuel? Dumb question but do you have a timing light? Double check the firing order that the plug wires are on right. Sometimes when I get stumped with a problem I gotta step back and start over with the basics.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
86 Came with a computerized Quadra-jet. The computer controlled the metering rods inside.
If thats off, and you change out the Dizzy. Then youll no longer be using the computer for anything and will have bypassed all of it.

LYTEMUP

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
305 c.i.
I had one of my Chevy buddies swing by last night while I was working on it. He told me the exact same thing about taking a step back and collecting my thoughts. I am going to pick up a fuel pump after work today and get the fuel side taken care of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06