Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trojan187

Reaction score
First Name
Dimitri
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Does anyone know why my distributor keeps killing the ignition coil ? I just installed a new ignition coil on my 84 K10 and it ran for a day. When I went to start it on the next day nothing doing no spark. I checked the coil again with my ohms meter and found the secondary coil of the ignition coil is once again open. Any suggestions?

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
My 79 would blow coils too... I was using a cheap coil and revving it up to 6k... Figured that was my issue, but never actually figured it out... Used to blow every few months lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Plug wires arching to metal will do it.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

Yup! A squirt bottle with water in it in the dark does a good job of finding it too.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Pull the rotor and check the underside for burned areas that would allow the center contact to ground out on any of the distributor shaft/mech advance parts. I've never seen it personally - but they say it happens.

When the secondary ignition circuit is allowed to go straight to ground (even for a short time) there is essentially unlimited current allowed to flow through the coil windings. The coil quickly overheats and burns up.

Pull the plug wires off the plugs and poke around with your meter - look for leakage from the secondary system to ground.

Yup! A squirt bottle with water in it in the dark does a good job of finding it too.

What he said.

I line on my back under the engine (hood shut and at night) and look up along the sides. Any secondary leakage generally jumps right out at you.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Run the engine at night or in a dark garage and look for plug wire arcing.

Just last week I saw an HEI cap and rotor with burnt contacts caused by 2 plug wires arcing to header tubes. The coil was OK, or at least it still worked.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Run the engine at night or in a dark garage and look for plug wire arcing.

Just last week I saw an HEI cap and rotor with burnt contacts caused by 2 plug wires arcing to header tubes. The coil was OK, or at least it still worked.
Yep when I was a kid ma got me a LTD furd. I went out and got the best accel had for ignition including that humongous ignition coil. Wasn't to knowledgeable at the time and left 4 plug wires touching the valve covers. On the way home passing a block party the furd 302 back fired six times. Shoulda seen everyone scatter lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76