distributor not firing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Rebuilt the top end of my 350. I put in the same dist. That I pulled out of it. Tried to fire it up last night but the truck wouldn't start. Pulled the #1 plug to see if it was getting any spark. It wasn't. I have the two plugs in the back of the distributor connected. But I'm unsure exactly where they go. I know one has to be a 12v key on source. But unsure of the other wires. Can someone give me a quick rundown on what to check here?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
First, determine whether the problem is internal to the distributor. If the distributor coil is getting 12VDC (or close) from the ignition switch, and you get no spark - it's an internal issue. IOW - the problem is within the distributor as opposed to an external power supply issue.

A simple, decisive check for power supply into the distributor is to measure the voltage available at the pink wire (I think it's pink - I have color vision issues). To do this, you will need a multimeter.

Remove the plug with the white/pink leads from the distributor cap. Turn your ignition key/switch to the RUN position. Set the meter to DC voltage and (with the red probe to the pink lead and the black to a good clean ground point) check for at least 10.5 VDC. See the image and disregard what I have in my hand:

You must be registered for see images attach

If you have less than 10.5 volts, the distributor cannot develop the 40,000 volts required to supply the spark plugs properly.

I have a feeling you will find sufficient voltage coming in. If so come back - someone will step you through the distributor diagnostic procedure.

BTW - the white wire is an output. It just provides an impulse signal to a tach (if installed) and also an engine speed value to the ECM/ECU. Your engine would run fine even if it wasn't hooked up.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have the two plugs in the back of the distributor connected.

I missed the above. Are the leads loose from their plastic plug connectors? If they are still in the plastic connectors, they can only plug in one way - and only to the proper sockets on the distributor.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The cap should have a - and + sign for which goes where and should say tach and ign.

Closest to the cap goes the 3 wires from the ignition module black to the front of vehicle red to the back. The connections furthest away from the cap are Tach to the front of the vehicle and Ign power source ( pink ) to the back of the vehicle.

This is with the connection point of the cap facing the drivers side.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I'll check it after I get home from church. Y'all are awesome

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok so the dist. Isn't getting power at the pink wire. Where does the wire get it's power from?

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Got it figured out guys. The monkey who owned the truck before me had messed up so many wires in the truck that none of them are the right colofor routed correctly. Makes troubleshooting a pain

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus