Direct header swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny85

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've been searching on here and can't find anything about headers. I have an 86 with stock manifolds that are rotted to the point there's holes in them, gotta love New England, anyways I was just wondering if anyone had any input as to which header is easiest to install in this application. Thanks.

Johnny85

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Thanks those are pretty trick

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Use locking fasteners as well.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Would these headers work well on a 76 k10? What is the performance difference between these and shorty's? Any recommendations on a complete exhaust including headers while on a budget?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hooker 2452 for 2WD, Hooker 2453 for 4WD.

Rich, I am considering Hooker 2452, but a guy on another forum sent me this picture of his. He says the #1 tube makes it hard to route the #5 plug wire anywhere but way down and back. If you have used these, how did you run your #5 wire?

You must be registered for see images

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Rich, I am considering Hooker 2452, but a guy on another forum sent me this picture of his. He says the #1 tube makes it hard to route the #5 plug wire anywhere but way down and back. If you have used these, how did you run your #5 wire?

You must be registered for see images

My issue with my 2452's is the number 6 pipe is ran so awkwardly if you have a pass side dipstick you have to bend the hell out of your stock tube if you want to reuse it. I didn't like that idea so went to the local parts house and picked up another that's shorter and seemed to work better. I'd have to snag a shot of how the 5 wire is ran.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My issue with my 2452's is the number 6 pipe is ran so awkwardly if you have a pass side dipstick you have to bend the hell out of your stock tube if you want to reuse it.

Thanks for the tip about the dipstick. Mine is also on the passenger side.

I can't believe the number of header manufacturers (most of them, in fact) who assume their customer's engines have a driver side dipstick and stock 60s-80s heads. They also have a total lack of understanding that the ports on the popular GM Vortec heads sit up higher than the center line drawn between the bolt holes. You'd think it was still 1984!

If one of these manufacturers offered headers specially designed for pass side dipstick and Vortec heads, and made them for a few popular cars and trucks, I'd bet they couldn't build them fast enough in their China and Mexico plants.

That means YOU -- Hooker Headers, Hedman Hedders, Doug's Headers, Patriot Exhaust, Pertronix

Last edited:

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip about the dipstick. Mine is also on the passenger side.

I can't believe the number of header manufacturers (most of them, in fact) who assume their customer's engines have a driver side dipstick and stock 60s-80s heads. They also have a total lack of understanding that the ports on the popular GM Vortec heads sit up higher than the center line drawn between the bolt holes. You'd think it was still 1984!

If one of these manufacturers offered headers specially designed for pass side dipstick and Vortec heads, and made them for a few popular cars and trucks, I'd bet they couldn't build them fast enough in their China and Mexico plants.

That means YOU -- Hooker, Hedmann, Doug's Headers, Patriot Exhaust, Pertronix

Agreed I do not understand why they're not designed like every other header where the middle to ports go straight down. The passenger side header looks completely different from the drivers side. As I said the #6 goes left and up and over #8 and then down. Makes no sense. And on the drivers side #1 goes up and over #3,5 then heads down. Maybe it was done to help fitment but I can't speak for that since the motor isn't installed yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 108

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I do not understand why they're not designed like every other header where the middle two ports go straight down.
Probably because they want a single design to fit as many applications as possibly. Most of the 73-87 pickup headers are also listed to fit trucks as far back as 1963. Well, also because the crossmember may be in the way. The best design would probably be "sloped back and down" on the two middle tubes, kind of like the 69-72 angled ram's horns.

Doug's Headers is one exception to the one-size-fits-all rule, but from the response to a message I sent them, they seem to be clueless about the Vortec head port difference, as well as the spark plugs being closer to the exhaust ports. Their message to me said the D300Y headers work with most angle plug heads. Hey, Doug's: Vortec heads have relocated plugs, not angled plugs. How can you NOT know that about a very popular head that hot rodders have been using for nearly 20 years?:Insane:

Here's their D310:
You must be registered for see images attach

And the D300 Tri-Y I asked them about:

You must be registered for see images attach

Seems like on any of them, the plugs wires are best routed straight down, back along the oil pan rail, and then up the back of the heads. The Tri-Ys might be an exception.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky