Differential Fluid on Underside of Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Blue Ox,

Wow! That's what I was hoping to hear but the pessimist in me was envisioning having to jump through hoops to correct this situation.

Another question...Do I purchase spiders with shims (curved pieces) or just reuse the ones already in there? Or does it matter?

Thanks!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
"While you're in there" I would just replace the shims. I don't know that it matters that much, but I'm sure they're not expensive and why take a chance?

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I found a complete "set" on Ebay that has the side gears with shims as well as the spiders. Can I replace all without resetting ring and pinion settings? It is only $74 shipped. I don't see where this should affect the R/P setup but don't know what I'm doing here and would rather ask than mess up. Thanks.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'm @$$uming you have a 10 bolt rear. I don't even think you have to remove the carrier to change the spiders. Just pull the pin, remove the C-clips and pull the axles, then swap the new gears in and "assembly is the reverse of removal."

You may want to consider switching to synthetic oil once you have the whole thing drained. I find some rears, like my 14 bolt Semi-floater hold up much better with synthetic.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Blue Ox, Thanks for the information. I'm going to go ahead and order the kit and will do like you said. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help! trukman1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20