Differential Fluid on Underside of Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Riiiight. Please tell your mom to stop calling me, Doug.
I've been hoping you two hook up. Then I can stay in YOUR basement. It looks a lot nicer....

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Lol.......

Where's my key???
Why don’t you just ride over with her sometime? You can grab the menfolk some drinks while we’re trying to make her airtight.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Man you can learn a lot on this site. Soooo much of "too much information" added. LOL

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Well, pulled the cover. At times like this I wish I had a smart phone (flip) and knew how to post pics! The differential was obviously underwater at some point. And yes, the vent is mounted to the underside of the bed.

Inside the pumpkin there is rust from the left side to about an inch past plus rust on the carrier where it had been sitting in the "muck." Fluid looked like brown watery mud! There is also a "nick" in the carrier. I sure wasn't planning on pulling the axles but I'm afraid not to now. Also need to rotate the R/P to see if there is damage to it!

Someone has had it apart since it had a blue FEL-PRO gasket installed. Inside of cover has rust too!

Blazer only has 72,000 miles. Hard to say what else I'll find but now after getting this done it's on to the front differential, engine oil and transmission fluid. Probably need to check axle tubes and bearing while I'm at it.

Just wanted to let you all know what I found. (Nothing near the rusty picture posted though!)

Any ideas on what to do about the rust inside carrier without pulling the entire carrier? Not sure I can do that without a spreader.

ETA: Removed opinion of PO. Could have just been a young guy who didn't know any better! Trying not to be judgmental since I've done my share of dumb things too!

Last edited:

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
No pinion seal leak?? What about your axle seals?

No leaks at all on rear. Front diff leaks at the plug on the cover is all. I'll be tearing it open soon though 'cuz it's probably a given that it's gotten water i it too!

PROJECTS!!!

ETA: Dougnsalem...Heinlein was right!!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Man you can learn a lot on this site. Soooo much of "too much information" added. LOL

This ain't even scratched the surface.

At least he's found the problem. Now we can help him fix it.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Thanks Snoots!

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Now we can help him fix it.

Is he really broken though? One man's Porsche is another man's VW... and is it really a problem, he may be a great wingman.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
You can get magnetic fill plugs for the diffs. I don't remember if I got mine from GM or not but they go a long way to protecting any gearbox.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Is he really broken though? One man's Porsche is another man's VW... and is it really a problem, he may be a great wingman.

A Porsche is just a glorified VW anyway.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Next question...

Spider gears are "chipped." Top edges are missing small pieces but someone already removed the broken pieces. Gears on the side are okay. Can the spider gears be replaced without replacing everything else and is there something I need to know about the shims for them? I didn't know if I could buy new spiders and if I would need to use the shims that came with the new ones or use the old ones to get the right clearance.

Not very knowledgeable about differentials...obviously.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
No special tricks to the spiders. Just change them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400