Differential Fluid on Underside of Blazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Just installed a new muffler/ tailpipe and noticed the entire rear of the under body is covered in oil (grease) that appears to becoming from the hose vent from the differential.

Haven't pulled the differential cover yet but I've been driving trucks for a long time and never seen this before.

Any suggestions for what I need to look for before I start tearing into things? What could cause it?

Thanks!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If it’s only coming from the vent, maybe someone managed to overfill it. Odd that fluid could consistently come out the vent, though. If the condition and mileage of the diff oil are unknown, now wouldn’t be a bad time to pull the cover, swap the oil and put in a new gasket.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
If it’s only coming from the vent, maybe someone managed to overfill it. Odd that fluid could consistently come out the vent, though. If the condition and mileage of the diff oil are unknown, now wouldn’t be a bad time to pull the cover, swap the oil and put in a new gasket.

Blazer has 72,000 original miles. Overall very solid, rust free vehicle with only cosmetic problems from PO who had "head in butt" syndrome. I can't say he didn't (or couldn't) figure out a way to screw this up to but I'm at a loss how it can happen.

Basically, I'm not sure HOW the differential can be overfilled. I used to drain the fluids and after replacing the cover, fill with fluids until the fluid came out the fill hole. Can extra fluid even be put in? If so, why would someone do that? If not, is there a differential problem that can cause this condition? I'm going to pull the cover but I'm just confused what could cause this condition.

Thanks for the response!

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm not sure HOW the differential can be overfilled
It would be really hard...like filling the diff fluid with the truck on a steep driveway with the fill plug pointing up.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Just returned from parts store with gasket and fluid. Will let you all know what I find when I open it up. Hopefully tomorrow. Just perplexed how it blows 80-90W fluid out. That's pretty thick stuff!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
No pinion seal leak?? What about your axle seals?

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
possible what ever oil was in there had a really bad foaming issue

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Or the rear end somehow went underwater and filled up. Heard of it happening before but never actually seen it.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
does your vent hose run all the way up to the underside of the bed?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Don't forget the posi additive (if you have one).

PO could have had a 'roar' from the rear axle and tried to cover it up by cramming more oil in the pumpkin.
While you have the cover off you may want to 'ink' the gears and check for runout before replacing the cover.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Or the rear end somehow went underwater and filled up. Heard of it happening before but never actually seen it.
And here's mine I did last summer. The PO raced a hydro. I don't think they ever changed the fluid.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike