Difference between HD and non HD front suspension 82 C-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
@mtnmankev , Yes I do realize that and I was just throwing out the info I have available. It sounds as if you REALLY need to get out of there and a little close to civilization so you can maintain yourself. If there was any way to help you out, I'd be there in a minute!!
Thanks, Perry, I do appreciate that.
I have known for a while now that I need to get out of here and closer to "civilization", and I have finally reached that magic breaking point I can't keep on going.
Since I have no family, and no help here, I can't keep this place going and when other stuff dumps on me, it gets overwhelming real fast, and seems like no escape.
And the doctors are going to expect me to travel a lot for treatments soon, and living here causes difficulty getting there more than once in a while.
I listed my place with a realtor who specializes in rural land, and I hope something good comes from it.
I should see the listing in a day or so, she is about done writing it up, and will see what happens.
Thanks to COVID and a screaming market for housing, it will be interesting to see if I can find a place to move to within my monthly budget.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks, Perry, I do appreciate that.
I have known for a while now that I need to get out of here and closer to "civilization", and I have finally reached that magic breaking point I can't keep on going.
Since I have no family, and no help here, I can't keep this place going and when other stuff dumps on me, it gets overwhelming real fast, and seems like no escape.
And the doctors are going to expect me to travel a lot for treatments soon, and living here causes difficulty getting there more than once in a while.
I listed my place with a realtor who specializes in rural land, and I hope something good comes from it.
I should see the listing in a day or so, she is about done writing it up, and will see what happens.
Thanks to COVID and a screaming market for housing, it will be interesting to see if I can find a place to move to within my monthly budget.
Sorry to hear about your health issues. It's too bad I don't live in Prescott Valley any more, I'd be happy to help you out with the mechanic work if I was still in the area.

Are you a Vet by chance? I had probably my best VA experiences with the Prescott VA.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Nope, not a vet but I do have a little bit of decent health care.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Nope, not a vet but I do have a little bit of decent health care.
Well, at least you have that. My wife has had severe Crohns since she was 4 years old, so I get the issue with having to travel for decent medical care and the importance of having good health insurance. Even being in PV, we had to travel down to Tuscon to UA for some medical stuff and she just recently had to spend about 3 weeks in the hospital on and off since last October. This last one was at least at the local hospital, but the two before that were an hour drive away in Portland. I can't imagine having to take her to those appointments or travel back and forth to them in my square... the gas bill alone would probably bankrupt me.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I am looking at a minimum of two types of cancer, and the doctors are not finished running tests to figure out all what's wrong with me.
I have already started getting rid of things I don't need and/or won't be using to make the final disposition an easier chore for my executor of my "estate".

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Made a few calls, and Rareparts has "heavy duty design" in stock, take a week to get here, and with tax and shipping, my bill will be around $450.
NAPA does not show a different listing for heavy duty, but he says he has a set in stock for the 82 C20 for 85 bucks each, but I would need to remove my old one and take it in to see if it matches up.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^That may be the best option. Guy on here also posted a big contingent of square body’s in a junkyard not far from you. Not totally understanding your limitations, this could be an option. I recall the location was Kingman.

Oh, and the best of luck to you going forward!

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The yard in Kingman is about a two hour drive from me.
I have a friend who lives near there, but he doesn't have the tools or know-how to do the job, or what to look for to inspect any used parts.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
O'reilly can order them in from Rareparts, $165 plus tax and shipping.
I looked up Rareparts online ($130.90 each) and called their 800 number to ask a few questions.
I was connected to a medical lifeline alert site that wanted to send me a thingy so i can push a button to get help in a medical emergency.
WRONG !!!
Plus, the thing would not work where I live.

Edit for content: Called a different number they gave when I emailed them, he said they show the same control arm and ball joint from mid 70's to 86 C-20.
I had to explain to him the model year changes i encountered when replacing tie rods and idler arm, and lower ball joints, there IS a difference between 82 and 83.
This is going to be a royal pain to make damn sure I get the right parts and not have to make any returns.

Last edited:

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
RockAuto is showing upper control arms (loaded) for as low as $20.79. The only callout for an HD option looks like the lower arms only , uppers seem to be all alike.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Here's a couple pix, shows the bushing backed out from the arm.
And the ball joints are riveted in, leads me to believe they are original 40 years old with who knows how many miles on them.
Obviously, a still picture cannot show how much play there is in either arm, but it's there !!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I was able to get a set of arms from NAPA today, $85 each, they look right, and seem heavy duty enough, so now I shall install them and see how they hold up on the crappy roads here.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
And the ball joints are riveted in, leads me to believe they are original 40 years old with who knows how many miles on them.
Obviously, a still picture cannot show how much play there is in either arm, but it's there !!
I've seen that happen before, so I know just how much play that will cause!

Good luck with the install and all the other things you have to deal with!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Wish you were closer, I'd help and you probably wouldn't have to move!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I'm late to the party, but when on a tight budget, you can simply screw them back in there. Often times, that's all they need. If you are worried about it possibly backing out again, a tack weld will take care of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green K10