Decent idle then bog and die in drive and given throttle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Idles well, have it timed at 12 btdc and mixture screws adjusted. When I give it throttle in park there's no issue, revs nicely, but as soon as it's in drive and I give it throttle it dies. Here's video of the problem and also video of the squirt my accelerator pump gives because it seems decent.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
How did this problem start?

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Good question. It started after I rebuilt the quadrajet. Not sure it wasn't an issue before that as it's a newer truck for me. Pretty sure there's no vacuum leak as I've sprayed carb cleaner and propane all around the engine with no effect. Some people say I need more timing though not sure how that would explain the issue. I acknowledge I may have fouled up the rebuild and I've actually ordered a. rebuild kit from Cliff's to redo it since the one I used was from an autoparts store. But the most likely carb culprit is the accelerator pump right? And that appears to be working fine. One other piece of info, I can get it to go sometimes if I let it coast in drive and then stomp on the throttle, basically skipping that between idle and cruise step.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was considering that but did you watch the video of the accel pump squirt? Seems decent
Yes, but if the fuel level is low it would be lean already. may not have enough volume to overcome the lean condition.

It could be other issues as well. But usually I will concentrate on what was just changed. Check that first then move on.

Did you use a brass float? They float differently than the original. Hard to tell in the video but does sound like air is mixed in.

Although rare have junked Q jets because the accelerator pump bore was oversized/worn out.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Yes, but if the fuel level is low it would be lean already. may not have enough volume to overcome the lean condition.

It could be other issues as well. But usually I will concentrate on what was just changed. Check that first then move on.

Did you use a brass float? They float differently than the original. Hard to tell in the video but does sound like air is mixed in.

Although rare have junked Q jets because the accelerator pump bore was oversized/worn out.
I have a second rebuild kit on the way, this one from Cliff's rather than O'Reilly and it includes a new plastic float. Might as well rebuild it again and check everything at that time. I'd reused the nitrile float that was in there because it wasn't compromised but then I read that their buoyancy can change from soaking in gasoline for years. Just one of those challenging situations where the fault could be in any number of places.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Never reuse float. Don't know what happens to them during rebuild, [drying out, oil from hands, ect] they will sink in a short time. Make sure the floats match.

dkraven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Never reuse float. Don't know what happens to them during rebuild, [drying out, oil from hands, ect] they will sink in a short time. Make sure the floats match.
Sounds like getting a new kit with a new float is a good move then, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy